Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21 Sep 2010, 06:41

The point is he did not own the articles when they were published and people posted/commented about them. You can't claim retrospective rights like this anywhere else in the world and if the posts/comments acknowledge source/authorship and link back to the original there is no legal/copyright issue.

How would any newspaper,news service TV/Radio station avoid litigation for their reporting if this principle is allowed?
Old 21 Sep 2010, 08:09

Weird: I was able to view the link (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/143700) from the first post in this thread this morning. Now I'm receiving an 'Access Denied' message, even using a proxy.

According to Wikipedia Righthaven LLC is a copyright litigation firm 'grubstaked' by Stephens Media ....
You can visit StephensMedia's website to see a list of their publications, should you feel inclined to boycott their product. I'd be inclined to deliberately ask before parting with my money for any service or product "Do you advertise with XXXX?". If the answer is "Yes" then oh well, "I'm sorry but I'll be buying my product from your competitor".

Over here in NZ we don't have to be concerned about an out-of-control legal industry such as exists in the US. One of our Government Departments tried to sue me a few years back and backed off before our first Court date after I threatened to represent myself in Court, as is my legal right. It would've taken yeeeears (at my pace) and they would've accumulated huge costs. They'd never have recouped a penny from me.

If their motive is money, kick them fair and square in their own money sacks! Don't wait to be a victim.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 08:33

I even wouldn't be surpprised if this was a political motivated hoax. I am not familiar enough with US politics, but isn't this website (dailypaul) an anti-Obama site?

Seeing they also posted an article trying to link Obama to this scam, it does seem so to me: http://www.dailypaul.com/node/143767

PS Just my first personal impression after reading that 2nd page, not based on any knowledge of this.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 10:53

Interesting

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 21 Sep 2010, 13:16

couldn't this idiot sue google and a ton of other sites for caching the articles from the sites that have been sued??

I'd love to see this idiot take on google lol.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 16:04

Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
couldn't this idiot sue google and a ton of other sites for caching the articles from the sites that have been sued??

I'd love to see this idiot take on google lol.
He would never sue Google or Facebook or any giant because they have lawyers to fight this. He specifically targets the "little guys" who can't afford to defend themselves but can manage to throw together a few thousand dollars to make him go away.

Lots more info here: http://www.righthavenlawsuits.com/

Marco- I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as a hoax, although bloggers may try to link this guy to Obama, Clinton, or GW Bush depending on what suits their audience the fact is there have been 100+ real victims of this guy so far from both liberal and conservative leaning blogs and forums.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 01:02

So what happens when this guy does sue someone who had an article up, and that article is cached already?

and what happens in such a case as mine would be, where i'm literally broke..... I couldn't give the guy $50 let alone a couple of thousand.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 02:31

Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
So what happens when this guy does sue someone who had an article up, and that article is cached already?

and what happens in such a case as mine would be, where i'm literally broke..... I couldn't give the guy $50 let alone a couple of thousand.
He's after money... he'd probably look to settle for a couple thousand dollars paid over time- something you could live with but still be a major PITA... If it did go to trial you'd have to hire a lawyer or represent yourself in which case he'd probably win and you'd have a judgement against you. Might be able to garish wages of seize bank accounts... you'd probably have to declare bankruptcy.

Old 22 Sep 2010, 02:58

I'm unemployed and going to school. my unemployment benefits run out in jan, then im funded entirely (and very meagerly) by the another agency for my schooling.

I think he would have a hard time coming after me. I'm Canadian anyway if that means anything.

It's hypothetical though, My board isn't live yet, and it's Canadian based(except the server who hosts me) so I doubt I'd see many articles from las vegas or wherever the articles are from that this asshat is suing for.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:05

It's times like these I'm glad I live in a country like Australia. A case like this would get laughed out of court.

Aslong as I and my members keep linking back (and not using the full article) I am almost untouchable.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 07:17

A very stupid way to make little money for guys like that, I think they lost more in reputation than they make money...
This story is overrated! sue me!
Old 01 Oct 2010, 17:56

Internet Brands is being sued too!
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...-legal-system/

Old 01 Oct 2010, 18:09

Originally Posted by Jack12 View Post
It's times like these I'm glad I live in a country like Australia. A case like this would get laughed out of court.

Aslong as I and my members keep linking back (and not using the full article) I am almost untouchable.
Same thing here where I live as well. But in the USA is seems like everyone can sue everyone about almost anything.
Old 01 Oct 2010, 20:20

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I hope the new owners chew them up and spit them out tbo.

Originally Posted by borbole View Post
Same thing here where I live as well. But in the USA is seems like everyone can sue everyone about almost anything.
Apparently so, sadly it seems that way even cases in the past where burglars sue homeowners after being shot while in the process of robbing the house!

Basically this is what most of us in the south call "Hogwash" as it might be legal however to those with morals, values, and ethics it's flat out wrong... just like the Ally Bank commercials where the gentlemen gives the little girl a bike, she goes to pedal he stops her within the red box of tape about twice the width of the bike and explains in bank terms how she's not allowed to ride outside the red box...

I know...

me too...

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 02 Oct 2010, 03:02

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
At least now it is crystal clear that full moderation control over all new content is necessary. If new content is not checked by staff, it can contain copyrighted material, which can result in such law suits.

Currently vbulletin does not allow us to to review all new content and mark it checked.