Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03 Mar 2010, 09:55

Cool Is Twitter killing forums?

Since the dawn of Twitter, my site has seen a downturn in people visiting, I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else or whether people just don't like my site lol.

From my point of view a lot of gamers have moved to twitter to communicate with each other and tend to socialize and organize gaming events on the fly, which admittedly seems a lot easier than the forums.

Don't get me wrong, we have used twitter as our advantage too for front page hits (which we probably would have never had before but from a forum point of view people are twittering instead of hitting the forums).

What do you guys think?
Chris
Old 03 Mar 2010, 10:18

I don't usually have posters who can fit their tales in 140 characters. I've seen a downturn in recent times, though I don't advertise and I've not seen any major influx from links (OMG LOOKIT THIS types) for a fair while.

I think social networking has caused quite a bit of loss, all done and said, from the forum style. It's a different animal catering to different needs.

Rapscallion
Old 03 Mar 2010, 10:34

I think Facebook has affected us. Greatly.

Twitter, no... lets face it Twitter is crap !

My Hacks [ click ] | Steve ~ Administrator for British Expats AustraliaBound.org/forum | Test our forum - user; don pass; pass123
Sports Tipping Mod - coming February 2010 ~ Show your Interest !
Old 03 Mar 2010, 12:49

Nope, I dont think Twitter, or Facebook have had any real effect on the use of any forum im a staff member of.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 03 Mar 2010, 15:43

Most of my guests are from twitter and facebook
Old 03 Mar 2010, 15:58

Twitter helps me with my website
Old 03 Mar 2010, 21:37

I was thinking once you have the new generation and old ,figuring out how to use face book or we call them facebook generation and they take the time to get to know how the system works ,can you persuade them to go to a VB site. now i am new at this and i am also wondering is VB 4 new designed was intended to head towards a social networking something like facebook script or social engine script. I upgrade to 4 because i had a license (3.8) already and i am starting a new project but i have to admit i am a bit concerned about trying to get people to come to my Site i don't know even if i could call it a forum anymore with the new version even though it is a forum i just renamed it a Lounge just to create a bit of a new interest. even if you create a group on face book and you have the discussion section on each group you will see 9 out of 10 there are no discussions there. Has people forgotten how to communicate on a general basis. But there is a big difference on a forum like a technical forum and then discussions are flying. So i don't even have any members on my site i don't even quit know how all the interaction works on VB4 maybe i should join somebody's forum just to get an idea, i kind of jumped into this to fast i think. My site is to work around a game that is separated and not inter-graded into the forum except user and passwords. but i could of done the same thing with social engine. but what really help is that you cannot get all the cool mods like you can here. Thanks to all by the way for your hard work. This is verry interesting reading here
Old 03 Mar 2010, 22:51

If your forum was essentially a massive shoutbox then yes, Twitter will kill it (and it would deserve to kill it). Forums are discussion hubs. Twitter and Facebook are not.

Saying that, there are forums that FB, Twitter and 1,001 other sites will rightfully kill off. This isn't because FB or Twitter are in competition with forum owners rather some forum owners being in competition with FB and Twitter.

Visitors time and attention spans are finite. The number of sites vying for visitors attention is growing. The more time visitors spend on other sites the less time they have for yours.

If your site sucks and doesn't offer any interesting focus, discussion or community then I think you're probably screwed. Gone are the days where you could substitute quality content with a points system to buy members "beer.gif" or an arcade leaderboard as a method to hold a visitors attention span.

If visitors want little games (distractions) then FB or several other billions of sites will grab your visitors attention far better than mods will. Forums relying on irrelevant whistles and bells, Forums not playing to their USP (community & discussion centred around a niche subject) are doomed.

If you are a community of Widget lovers, then focus on content and discussions about widgets. Everything else just works against you.

*before I get flamed, I am sure the arcade works on many sites where it is relevant. Maybe even some where it isn't. But FWIW, I don't see many big boards ( > 1m posts) with leaderboards and points systems anymore. I see big boards dedicated to discussions.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 00:30

Verry Good point about a general gaming site. My site is a real time game and real players .person to person, the forum is just a gathering place where instructions will be how to play plus strategies but the game is played out there in the real world and the other part of my site is a monitoring system and score . so this i why i went with vb because i think social network sites would not really give a focus point, players would be all over the place like facebook. next thing i know they will be growing pigs and tomatoes on my site lol. it is great to here different point of views . But i am starting to feel that i am the strange one out there, i really feel twitter is completely useless but the site is growing . i think texting is a stupid idea but yet every kid on the block just has to do it and the parents are just as bad and i have witness what really goes on and it is just like twitter with the small amount of information given out ,well why don't you just pick up the phone and talk to the guy or girl and get together something like that . This is one big question about what i want to do. the game requires for you to go out of your home loll. I have to fine that crowd that likes being an adventurist and is not afraid of using a new system. where most finally gave in and joined facebook becouse all there friends said they where on it.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 05:01

Maybe just my site then haha.

it's interesting to hear people's experiences.

@The Geek, no flaming here my friend - I'm actually going to agree with you full-heartedly.
The problem with gaming websites is the fact there are so many, as you said - people's time is finite and you have to try and get their time.

I think people are still having conversations on my forums about general stuff in regards to gaming, but in the past people would come on and say 'check out this gaming video' etc and post the video. That has now moved to twitter as it is easier and potentially get more of a reaction on a quicker time scale.

As for facebook, I'm not a big fan - I haven't seen any major results in getting people from there. At the end of the day you probably are marketing your site to people who probably not that interested (ie if you own a site of VB etc how many people are really gonna be checking out your facebook page?).

I have had more signups from my podcast than any other media (of course getting the podcast to a place to do that is not an easy task at all), but it really is a strong place to get people to come to your site.

Certainly twitter helps my front page a lot - we had a story last week that got picked up around the web and then put on twitter and the combined lot got us 30,000 hits in a day and half (actually killed the site). So it is definitely useful and shouldn't be ignored at all but I find general chatter is down on my boards (just a little, but enough to notice).
Old 04 Mar 2010, 11:26

Decrease in general chatter does make sense, but I would wager that is symptomatic of forums not being the easiest avenue for general chatter any more. Twitter and FB are far better at that sort of thing, but they suck at discussions (especially niche).

So - I guess it makes sense that if your ratio of banter to niche content is heavy on the chatter side, then you will be adversely affected by the rise of better outlets for that. My site hasn't been hindered - we've grown (but we've always been niche content driven).

Funny thing about FB is that you have to already be a friend of someone before you can discuss anything with them and Twitter only lends itself primarily as a one-way 140 character shoutbox and the only people that can listen have to already be following you!

Now, gaming forums are a saturated "niche" area and sadly a dime a dozen. Seems like the key sticking power are in community "factions". I really don't know what the answer for that type of site is however I would be far less worried about FB and Twitter and more worried about some of the other "big boys" that operate forum discussions, reviews, etc... I would find/create a USP/angle and just stick to it.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 17:13

Arrow

When was the last time you went on Twitter/FaceBook (FB) for your daily round of knowledge (articles)?

It's where everyone goes for gossip and to find out what's currently new. People don't visit these sites to learn about their favorite subjects.

If your site is suffering from Twitter/FB it's because you don't offer fresh content - such as having great discussions, How-To tutorials, downloads, articles, etc.

Compounding this is the lack of usability on most sites - Twitter/FB is 10x more user-friendly than most sites.

How easy is it to find fresh content on your site? Do you provide your readers a list of new titles or do you expect the reader to do all of the work?

Do you know your registration conversion rate? I bet it's low.
How do you expect to succeed when conversion rate is so low?

If you REALLY want to succeed you need to start focusing on content and usability.
  • Fresh content helps drive traffic to your site.
  • A user-friendly site makes it easier for your visitors to find what they want; register, and participate.

Latest Articles:
Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
How to Monetize Your Site
Improve Web Page Performance
How To Write For The Web

If it needs instructions, there's room for improvement.
Give users what they actually want, not what they say they want. And whatever you do, don't give them new features just because your competitors have them!
Old 05 Mar 2010, 20:36

I used to tweet and I had about 800 followers and I found It did really nothing. I also have to measure energy = the worth. I even had a facebook page I would do daily updates. I was even giving free advertisement on the site. and was direct marketing to companies in the industry to sign up and add there companies . I am telling you what a struggle. I am brain dead now lol. For that site I am telling you I gave it all. just recently I fished with the template and I still could put in another 60 hours strait into it, if I want to… easily. But if companies won’t use the site then what is the point I had been on that project for two years I think I am finished with it now

This new project I am working in real player adventure gaming with the VB I am just going to go about it the old fashion way ,advertising in the local classifieds and other popular free advertising and if reputation stands then you will have all sorts of people tweeting for you. I think the first thing is to get people populated on the Forum first. But for Existing Sites that have been up for years I guess there the once that can really gauge the situation. but for me standing at this point it has been a huge waste of time concerning more to advertise your site but maybe the people that are members of the site like the idea of getting a tweet from time to time and It could contribute in keeping your members.

At least I can say I tried it …
Old 07 Mar 2010, 18:09

Twitter, Facebook, and Myspace have not effected me. I have realized though that LinkedIn is my biggest competition. The real perk to the forum though is that it is more easily searched, I think.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 15:57

Twitter is about to release @Anywhere which looks like an interesting prospect and will be able to plug into any site http://www.crn.com/software/22390003...PSKHWATMY32JVN