Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15 Jul 2012, 19:15

RIP Boofo

I'm surprised a thread hasn't already been started - but if I've just missed it, feel free to merge or move this guys.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how much Boofo is going to be missed. I loved having long, random MSN chats with him about nothing and wondered where he'd disappeared to over the past few weeks.

I found out via Facebook that Boofo has sadly departed this life, I have no more detail than that however

So, wherever you are, Rob, I hope you're having a ball.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 19:19

OH MAN

That's terrible, so sorry to hear.

RIP Boofo

Email me for website help: brandon[at]sheley[dot]org
Old 15 Jul 2012, 19:27

Oh this is most terrible news. He was one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people here. He kept his cool even when slighted by people much younger than him.

This is a huge loss of the community as a whole. My condolences to his family.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 19:32

Very sad to hear this.... I will miss vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator...
Some details can be found here, hope it's ok.
Rest in peace Boofo.

Last edited by Ramsesx; 15 Jul 2012 at 19:38.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 19:46

I was sad to hear this too but as I wasn't facebook friends with him I can't see his page. I was looking for "proof" before making a post myself.

All I have seen is a screenshot from his facebook page (posted on Boofo's own forum) but no details.

Rest in peace Rob.

I went looking for an obituary and could only find listing of a name that matches his but it also has zero details or even a date.

http://www.hamiltonsfuneralhome.com/...aspx?rid=12273

There is one online condolence from someone else written July 11th.

(@BirdOPrey5) Former vb.org Moderator. Fighting for a free & independent vb.org.
BirdOPrey5.com - Exclusive VB Mods! (Formerly Qapla.com) | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 19:49

I had him on my facebook, the first RIP message appeared on the 10th July but as yet there are no details - other than those posted on his forum about him having been to the doctors earlier for what he thought was routine, but turned out not to be. Other than that I know no more either
Old 15 Jul 2012, 19:59

Very sad news indeed. I will miss our goofy PMs and IMs. He always put a smile on my face when he called me "Young Lady".

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 15 Jul 2012, 20:07

He was very happy a few months back that the number of his installs reached the year of his birth (1954). http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=282107

Who knew at the time that this would be his last year here.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 20:23

Boofo was a great coder, I enjoyed seeing what his crazy personality would come up with next. Even though me and Boofo only talked a couple of times, those times we talked he always had a goofy comment to give.

Remember Boofo by his signature:
Originally Posted by Boofo
Remember, a good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body and even bring a shovel.
Rest in Peace Boofo
Old 15 Jul 2012, 21:14

I saw this on Facebook as well, and posted a question asking if it was true. No reply, but the evidence seems clear.

We had our differences over the years, but remained friendly overall. He used many bits of code I gave him over the years until he learned to do things more himself.

He was also helpful when I first joined the vb.org staff (over 5 years ago now). R.I.P Boofo.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 21:32

Very very sad to lose one of the coding community, like when Andrew D went, boofo (Rob) was one of those coders who was always about and almost in every thread, my thoughts are with the people he left behind - +1 RIP Rob.
Please do not pm me for support unless i have invited you to!
Old 15 Jul 2012, 21:32

This is very, very sad news. I'd heard a rumour but didn't know if it was true or not.

Bob helped me loads when I first started using vBulletin - little things that others would find easy but I struggled with - he always had time to help 'cause that is the kind of guy he was.

R.I.P - I'll miss your PM's
Old 15 Jul 2012, 21:42

Indeed, this is very sad news. RIP Robert.

What did he die from? At the link posted above said something about a checkup at the doctor which obviously found something wrong with this health but no more details were given.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 21:50

looks like some guys here had the information as well, so it's not bad if i talk about it a little bit now that the news is spread...

i've been in discussion with Robert in the last weeks/months about his cancer and other health problems, and i think he deserve a little flame of respect just for the the time he fought his illness, bravely with all his heart to stay alive... we've been friends since 2002, we registered here at the same day and we worked alongside a lot of times... *(i even debugged most of his releases before they were released, for the fun of it)... like many, we had our fights - usually when his health of family situation were in sake... but he was a great partner and a good friend.

we fought the "fathers rights" together, even if our situations were very different. we also fought for vBulletin at the same level, for our pride most of the time, and for the sarcasms 200% of the time...

last time i read from Robert is about 3 weeks ago, and he said to me a simple thing that hurts... " sorry pal, i'll never say stupid things again "... that was his only words in his last email...

... one day, we will start saying stupid things together again... RIP Robert Hindal

--------------- Added 15 Jul 2012 at 21:58 ---------------

if you want to offer your condolences, here is the page: http://www.hamiltonsfuneralhome.com/...aspx?sid=12273

be polite, be respectful...
Old 15 Jul 2012, 22:24

Thanks for sharing that, Nexi. I think Bob's passing has left a hole in many people's hearts - he helped so many and wanted nothing in return.