Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 12:48
AusPhotography's Avatar
AusPhotography AusPhotography is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Real name: Rick-owner, Kym-admin
vB3 -> vB4 is quite easy.
Rule 1 - full backup
Rule 2 - disable all add-ons and ONLY put the the vB4 versions into your new site

We did is a couple of years ago, we setup a test site and played around until it worked how we wanted - then did it live
__________________
www.AusPhotography.net.au a.k.a. AP is a photography forum where members share their photography, photo editing skills and techniques. We run regular photographic competitions; Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) using this account
*** Home of the AP fully comprehensive vb4 photographic competition management solution ***
  #32  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 15:50
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
He just hates vB4 and feels the need to tell everyone.
Nonsense. Says the bloke who won't upgrade this site to v4 either.

All I do is tell facts you don't happen to like. I don't hate v4, I simply refuse to just mindlessly hype it.

Last edited by Max Taxable; 19 Jun 2014 at 16:00.
  #33  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 15:52
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Originally Posted by cellarius View Post
I'm really not a vB4 fan. Never was. But how you get to the opinion the vB4 database was bloated and inefficient, when in fact it is practically identical to the vB3 database (if you subtract vB4 CMS and Blog which were not present in vB3), really beats me. What really was/is catastrophic is the CMS. The forum as a standalone product are not really that different.
It loads slower out of the box, does have a bloated database and is also full of security holes.

It just is what it is.
  #34  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 18:12
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Originally Posted by Max Taxable View Post
Nonsense. Says the bloke who won't upgrade this site to v4 either.
Which has zero to do with my opinion of vB4, and everything to do with the huge amount of work it would take.
Something Im sure you know full well, so dont wast everyones time with cheap shots about specific forums.

Originally Posted by Max Taxable View Post
All I do is tell facts you don't happen to like. I don't hate v4, I simply refuse to just mindlessly hype it.
No, you mostly post opinions, not facts.
v4 is bloated, runs slower and is a wet paper sack for security. It's "great new features" are mostly, v3 modifications that were made default in v4.
This is almost all your opinion, nothing more. The only bit you could generally argue as a fact is that it will mostly run slightly slower, although unless you have a big forum general network speed variations are more likely to be noticeable.

Originally Posted by Max Taxable View Post
It loads slower out of the box, does have a bloated database and is also full of security holes.

It just is what it is.
Utter tripe.
At least you proved my point, you cannot post sensible information.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
  #35  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 18:24
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Utter tripe.
At least you proved my point, you cannot post sensible information.
Thanks for the belly laugh. v4 merely represents the start of the fall down the slope, of vBulletin who with version 5 made sure it completely killed a once robust and industry leading platform.

Blinders you wear, pretending this isn't true and the problems with v4 which are multitude, don't exist. You represent this failed company, Internet Brands, very well. *slaps knee*
  #36  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 18:41
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Which has zero to do with my opinion of vB4, and everything to do with the huge amount of work it would take.
Something Im sure you know full well, so dont wast everyones time with cheap shots about specific forums.
~Ahem~
Originally Posted by AusPhotography View Post
vB3 -> vB4 is quite easy.
Rule 1 - full backup
Rule 2 - disable all add-ons and ONLY put the the vB4 versions into your new site

We did is a couple of years ago, we setup a test site and played around until it worked how we wanted - then did it live
  #37  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 19:12
Disco_Stu's Avatar
Disco_Stu Disco_Stu is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
vBulletin is what you make it. If you don't like something about it then change it. I've changed so many templates and php files that I'm not sure if the majority of the code is VB or mine.

I added a lot of jquery, flash, javascript, php, etc. and my site has a lot of images that are not optimized in any way. Yeah I'm sure my site loads slowly but I provide my users with an MP3 player packed with over 300 hits songs (all legal - I pay the licensing fees) for free as an incentive for them to visit my site. I don't think they mind if the initial page takes an extra second or 2 to load.

I consider my site a proof of concept project that I enjoy working on from time to time. I'm not sure what all these issues with 4.2 are that you keep mentioning. It works fine for me. That's why I'll never upgrade.

If you want to look at my site (and say it sucks) feel free. You will need to register to use the MP3 player or post in the forum. By the way, the forum will not have many posts in it because it is not the main focus of my site. I found that vBulletin can be used to create more than just forum sites.

www.pjksoftware.com


fyi...you will need to use Firefox or Chrome. The are incompatibilities with some of my code with IE which I am working on

Last edited by Disco_Stu; 19 Jun 2014 at 19:18.
  #38  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 19:24
RichieBoy67's Avatar
RichieBoy67 RichieBoy67 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Real name: Richie
At some point Vb5 will most likely be worked out as well but the latest Vb4.2.2 is very solid and secure.

Sure vulnerabilities are found every so often but usually patched very quickly just as vulnerabilities are found and patched in pretty much every software and script.

In regards to the op giving up... Sure major upgrades are difficult for someone who has not done it or does not do this type of thing all the time. I can understand that but the issue here was not the version at all.

--------------- Added 19 Jun 2014 at 19:36 ---------------

Originally Posted by Disco_Stu View Post
vBulletin is what you make it. If you don't like something about it then change it. I've changed so many templates and php files that I'm not sure if the majority of the code is VB or mine.

I added a lot of jquery, flash, javascript, php, etc. and my site has a lot of images that are not optimized in any way. Yeah I'm sure my site loads slowly but I provide my users with an MP3 player packed with over 300 hits songs (all legal - I pay the licensing fees) for free as an incentive for them to visit my site. I don't think they mind if the initial page takes an extra second or 2 to load.

I consider my site a proof of concept project that I enjoy working on from time to time. I'm not sure what all these issues with 4.2 are that you keep mentioning. It works fine for me. That's why I'll never upgrade.

If you want to look at my site (and say it sucks) feel free. You will need to register to use the MP3 player or post in the forum. By the way, the forum will not have many posts in it because it is not the main focus of my site. I found that vBulletin can be used to create more than just forum sites.

www.pjksoftware.com


fyi...you will need to use Firefox or Chrome. The are incompatibilities with some of my code with IE which I am working on

Nice site but yes, it does load very, very slowly which will cause a large seo impact. You could probably shave some load time off just by optimizing your images and caching.

Nice looking site though.
__________________

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

  #39  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 19:44
Disco_Stu's Avatar
Disco_Stu Disco_Stu is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Thanks but I'm not concerned with SEO because most of my visitors are by word of mouth from past clients and peers. I've done a lot of work for many firms (click on the experience tab and you will see a few) so I get my share of visitors without relying too much on SEO
  #40  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 20:11
K4GAP K4GAP is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
He just hates vB4 and feels the need to tell everyone.

As you say, the reality is that aside from the added CMS and blog, its not really much different to vB3. It does have a few extra features, especially in 4.2.x
When I read Max's comment about the bloated db I was concerned but, it makes sense that if someone takes into the consideration the cms and blog of 4.2's suite, it only makes sense that of course the db would be larger. Bloated? ummmm, some people may describe it that way I guess.

A whole lot of negative about a product should be backed up and, fully explained. If I didn't know better and I just went with "bloated", I would form a bad opinion. It it were explained why the product were "fatter" and an explanation as to why it is fatter i.e. more features and additional stuff, then I could form a better more educated opinion of the product.

No wonder a lot of users are jumping ship, they hear such things as it's pantry is bloated!
__________________

  #41  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 20:19
Disco_Stu's Avatar
Disco_Stu Disco_Stu is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Hey K4GAP, check out some of my QSL cards on my site
  #42  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 20:41
K4GAP K4GAP is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Originally Posted by Disco_Stu View Post
Hey K4GAP, check out some of my QSL cards on my site
Link?
__________________

  #43  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 20:51
Disco_Stu's Avatar
Disco_Stu Disco_Stu is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Originally Posted by K4GAP View Post
Link?
www.pjksoftware.com
  #44  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 21:17
rhody401's Avatar
rhody401 rhody401 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
IMO 4.2.x is a fine and stable product. (I run a few large ones and they are rock solid reliable) 5.x isn't ready for prime time yet, IMO, and is very slow. and 3.x has a VERY dated look, and is slowly being ignored by developers since it is being phased out/retired. Developers are probably focusing on 4.x, 5.x and other competing products.

There was no reason to give up, imo, nor is there a flaw/cause for blame in 4.x the product. (other than it being virtually ignored in favor of 5.x development) It sounds more like you had a problem with some very old custom mods in the 3.x environment, which needed to be replaced/updated in the newer 4.x environment. If so, that's a legitimate problem - but this thread was probably not deserved. (it implies that 4.x is broken somehow)

As far as I recall, all of the recent exploits were found in all supported versions of the product. (3 4 5)
  #45  
Old 19 Jun 2014, 23:26
Max Taxable's Avatar
Max Taxable Max Taxable is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Originally Posted by Disco_Stu View Post
vBulletin is what you make it. If you don't like something about it then change it. I've changed so many templates and php files that I'm not sure if the majority of the code is VB or mine.

I added a lot of jquery, flash, javascript, php, etc. and my site has a lot of images that are not optimized in any way. Yeah I'm sure my site loads slowly but I provide my users with an MP3 player packed with over 300 hits songs (all legal - I pay the licensing fees) for free as an incentive for them to visit my site. I don't think they mind if the initial page takes an extra second or 2 to load.

I consider my site a proof of concept project that I enjoy working on from time to time. I'm not sure what all these issues with 4.2 are that you keep mentioning. It works fine for me. That's why I'll never upgrade.

If you want to look at my site (and say it sucks) feel free. You will need to register to use the MP3 player or post in the forum. By the way, the forum will not have many posts in it because it is not the main focus of my site. I found that vBulletin can be used to create more than just forum sites.

www.pjksoftware.com


fyi...you will need to use Firefox or Chrome. The are incompatibilities with some of my code with IE which I am working on
Very good points and well presented.

Last edited by Paul M; 21 Jun 2014 at 15:58. Reason: Your pushing your luck now
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: