Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12 Dec 2014, 18:39

Talking vB CMS Capabilities

Hey guys. First, I want to state I have read the article at this link which is commonly linked in these threads. I have some questions not covered in these articles.

First, is there any way to have threads from a forum display as the main page? Example: We have an announcement forum. I have tried playing with it but I cannot seem to find out how to link them.

Second, there is an outdated article for how to create php pages. It says there is a new php content type, but the only thing I can create are articles. Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 19:20

You can promote an post/thread on any forum to the main page. On my site we use the CMS often and when one of the writes produces an article they write it in the appropriate forum and then promote it to the front page. This give users 2 spots to read the articles and make comments on it.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 19:48

Ahh, I see that now. I think I might switch to vBA CMPS. vB CMS isn't too user friendly and lacks some basic behaviors I'd like to use. Thanks for you input Andrew.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 02:48

Originally Posted by KGodel View Post
Ahh, I see that now. I think I might switch to vBA CMPS. vB CMS isn't too user friendly and lacks some basic behaviors I'd like to use. Thanks for you input Andrew.
As far as I know vBA CMPS is no longer supported. I believe that pretty much everything at vBAdvanced has gone downhill, so you may want to keep in mind that if you have a problem you will likely not be able to get support or be able to fix it if it needs to be fixed.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 03:08

Yeah their site is no longer up anymore, so it is gone.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 03:14

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Oh wow really? Holy........Glad I downloaded the vBA Links I bought and got the last version they had.....
Old 13 Dec 2014, 15:30

Their site is online. Its how I downloaded the mod.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 16:45

Strange, it is down in FF for me, but not IceDragon.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 17:14

Chris I see it in FF just fine I'm using FF 34.0.5.

There is still the issue of the site not really being manned for support though. Its something to think about. It really depends on how good you are with figuring out and fixing things in the site.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 23:34

I tried out both and both have functionality I like, just not together and neither quite works how I'd like it to. More research I guess.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 01:19

I tried out both and both have functionality I like, just not together and neither quite works how I'd like it to. More research I guess.
Ok you have other options out there. Look into Wordpress & Joomla. Both are free scripts that can be installed and styled on your web host. Both do have bridges to vBulletin if you do not mind paying for them and if you need to have the ability for members to have one login on both areas. Both bridges are not too terribly costly, not more than $50 I think. Both you have more control over how you style the site. Out of the two I personally like Wordpress better. Its easier to use for someone who is first starting out or who has not used the software before. Both have tons of free plugins, modules etc to enhance your site to what you want exactly.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 19:30

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Wow! That is terrible news.

The best thing I liked about that portal was being able to integrate into the forum so sidebars can be added to both sides of the forum.

I also like being able to see the actual posts from the forum on the portal rather than having a whole duplicate article made.

Sad to see them go after all these years!

--------------- Added 14 Dec 2014 at 19:31 ---------------

Though more complex you may look into integrating Wordpress or Joomla.

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Old 15 Dec 2014, 04:59

What are you concerns with the vbulletin CMS?
Old 15 Dec 2014, 22:20

I'm trying to keep everything within the same system. We have used Joomla/Wordpress before and felt like keeping two sites updated wasn't a fit for us.

As for the CMS, it's not very straightforward. We were looking for something that's pretty easy to follow. Mostly the section/page structure, even after reading several tutorials. We'd like, for example, certain posts to appear on different "pages". News, Our Media Stuff, Newsletters, etc. I've looked for modules to do this, but my guess is I would need to make some custom modules to have this happen. I'm barely at decent plugin level let alone creating more complicated widgets.

If someone wants to help me set things up using VB CMS I'd gladly throw a bit of money your way, granted not a lot (but maybe, I'm interviewed for a developers job tomorrow!) Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 15 Dec 2014, 22:26

I'm trying to keep everything within the same system. We have used Joomla/Wordpress before and felt like keeping two sites updated wasn't a fit for us.

As for the CMS, it's not very straightforward. We were looking for something that's pretty easy to follow. Mostly the section/page structure, even after reading several tutorials. We'd like, for example, certain posts to appear on different "pages". News, Our Media Stuff, Newsletters, etc. I've looked for modules to do this, but my guess is I would need to make some custom modules to have this happen. I'm barely at decent plugin level let alone creating more complicated widgets.

If someone wants to help me set things up using VB CMS I'd gladly throw a bit of money your way, granted not a lot (but maybe, I'm interviewed for a developers job tomorrow!) Thanks in advance for any help!
You can do this by using sections. Check out our cms, http://musclemecca.com

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.