Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
[3.0.0 beta 5] Read your members Private Messages Details »
[3.0.0 beta 5] Read your members Private Messages
Developer Last Online: Mar 2021 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.0.0 Rating: (3 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 137
Released: 04 Jan 2004 Last Update: Never Downloads: 122
Not Supported  

* Users tested this on beta 5,6,7,gamma,rc1 and didn't complain about errors *

/*======================================================================*\
|| This IS the First vB3 Hack (PM.PHP)
|| Description: Allow Super Administrators to read Private Messages
||
|| Author : Scott (
[email protected]) (version 1.0 for beta 3)
|| SideKick : Xiphoid (
[email protected]) (version 1.1 for beta 5)
||
|| Install : Upload to admincp/ folder and in browser run as
||
http://www.yoursite.com/forum/admincp/pm.php?userid=x
\*======================================================================*/

ENJOY
(and thank you Scott)

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_pm_nomsgs.jpg
Views:	3351
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	15365   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_pm_overview.jpg
Views:	2272
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	15366   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_pm_reading.jpg
Views:	2060
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	15367  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Super Admins can Read Private Messages Floris vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 78 03 Oct 2012 15:28
Private Messages Enhancements Read Your Members Private Messages (v1.2) Trigunflame Modification Graveyard 163 04 Jun 2007 01:32

Comments
Old 04 Jan 2004, 02:03

Oh the chaos this hack will cause. Not only will people scream about the privacy bull++++, but now you're releasing a beta 5 hack at vB.org? Oh the humanity...
Old 04 Jan 2004, 02:33

agreed, i saw this at vb.nl but didnt install it

nice hack though

MGM out
Old 04 Jan 2004, 02:51

Originally Posted by Link14716
but now you're releasing a beta 5 hack at vB.org? Oh the humanity...
He does say it's compatible with Betas 5, 6, 7, Gamma, and RC1...

Nice hack, but unless my members are secretly organizing a rebellion through PMs I don't really have a need for it right now.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 02:59

Oh, my. I find that almost too powerful to the administrator, for the privacy issues. Nevertheless, I installed it, just to try it out. Don't know if I'll keep it; I may consider un-installing... but either way, nice hacking.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 03:14

Well nobody will know you have it installed, but you could have it there just incase.

Great hack floris.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 03:35

Well truth be known, you can just view the PMs in the database, but this just makes it much easier to do. Also some people say you should/need to include this fact in the signup so that they can not say they have not been warned.

Though personally people should never ever think that once they type something out on the net in any way should be thought of as "private" in any way. I would suggest changing the name from "Private Message" to "Message" or something else that does not lead people to think "Private"

I have had need of this before on my forum, a user was sending requests for warez and other less than desirable things. I was able to see messages and was able to take actions needed.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 03:48

Just a side note to remind everyone that you have to be Super Administrators to get this hack working which means that any old administrator will not be able to view the PMs only the ones defined inside the config.php file will be able to view.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 04:09

I will never use this hack for evil
Old 04 Jan 2004, 09:19

Hi there everybody:

Beta hack:
Because it works with rc1, I think I can post it. Also, who cares for which version I release a hack.

Privacy:
This has been discussed, if you don't need it: Don't use it!
I personally think none of the messages on a forum are private, because they are stored plain text in the database. I really like it how IPB calls them Personal Messages.

Having said that, it is up to the administrator of each individual forum to process the data from their members as they see fit. I don't think it requires a warning prior to registration. If a user decides to abuse the services / priveledges of a site by using the PM system to spam. The admin can use all means (tools) through the admin control panel to avoid this. They can prune pm's too, why not check up first to see if the user is really spamming and then removing the msgs. It becomes a privacy issue when the admin starts to use it to read all the msgs for personal enlightment. But either way, doing through by pulling them manually from the database in a less clear overview, or through a handy tool. I'd like to save time and use a handy tool (when I check up on spammers).

Regardless;
Thank you for the feedback and enjoy the hack.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 13:38

Originally Posted by Serge
Just a side note to remind everyone that you have to be Super Administrators to get this hack working which means that any old administrator will not be able to view the PMs only the ones defined inside the config.php file will be able to view.

Thats nice to know
Old 04 Jan 2004, 22:15

Word of caution for US site owners: Using this hack unless you have already warned your users that their PMs are subject to monitoring and can confirm through some type of checkbox that you timestamp and save in the database indicate that they are aware and agree to the monitoring would be a violation of Federal Law under the Electronic Security Act.

Just the act of reading their PMs alone opens you up to both criminal and civil litigation. Under the criminal code, you can go to prision for up to 5 years. If you run your forums on your own hardware, it will be confiscated. On the civil litigation, you can be held liable for up to $50,000 per PM you read.

Is it worth it?
Old 04 Jan 2004, 22:39

Originally Posted by FASherman
Word of caution for US site owners: Using this hack unless you have already warned your users that their PMs are subject to monitoring and can confirm through some type of checkbox that you timestamp and save in the database indicate that they are aware and agree to the monitoring would be a violation of Federal Law under the Electronic Security Act.

Just the act of reading their PMs alone opens you up to both criminal and civil litigation. Under the criminal code, you can go to prision for up to 5 years. If you run your forums on your own hardware, it will be confiscated. On the civil litigation, you can be held liable for up to $50,000 per PM you read.

Is it worth it?
You should probably point out if you are not a lawyer and your occupation has nothing to do with law.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 22:48

Originally Posted by FASherman

Is it worth it?

Well this is something that is up for debate and as for me I will be installing this hack as it is just making what I can do already easier to do.

I will say this again, if anyone actually thinks anything they type that is not encrypted is private than they are smart enough to give out their credit card numbers to everyone and still feel protected.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 23:57

I feel the same way as Floris and will be installing this hack.