Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11 Mar 2009, 19:40

Mods being copied all over the world??

Hi Everyone

I did a search on Google earlier for one of my hacks to show a guy at work and i was supprised at all the different sites that have copied them from here and added them to their sites, which i thought was nice as i must be doing something right but a large majority of the sites are underground nulled sites and one of them was even offering the latest version of VB for free

Now whilst is nice for me to see my hacks on VBulletin support sites, like VBulletin Germany and France, i'm not too happy about it appearing on nulled sites, i just wanted to know what VB.orgs policy on copyrights was and whilst its nice to be asked, Like Allan from the VBulletin-France, its also nice to know exactly where all these hacks are allowed to appear.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this or am i just being paranoid
Old 11 Mar 2009, 19:52

Actually, this has been brought up before in here.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 11 Mar 2009, 19:56

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
Actually, this has been brought up before in here.
Sorry lynne, Its just that i hadn't seen it, being a newbie of sorts
Old 11 Mar 2009, 20:20

It happens, anything that can remotely be copied and put on these warez sites is. My advice is either to contact their host (if they're in a country which actually cares about who owns this stuff), or just ignore them to be honest.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 20:39

Just ignore them. They have thousands of other peoples work on their sites, many with much deeper pockets than anyone here, and they can't do anything about it, so don't think you'll be able to.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 21:18

Thanks for the replys guys, Its not bothering me at all, i just wondered what the stance was here on the copyright issue.

Old 11 Mar 2009, 21:33

Originally Posted by UKBusinessLive View Post
Sorry lynne, Its just that i hadn't seen it, being a newbie of sorts
I was in a rush in my reply too. I know I've seen threads about this, but can't remember the subject title. But, basically vb.org, or Jelsoft, can't do anything about it. Jelsoft doesn't have the copyright on your mods, you do. So, you can try asking them to remove them, but unfortunately, some of those places could care less about copyright law and you aren't going to get far in asking. It's best to just ignore them, I think.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 11 Mar 2009, 21:48

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
I was in a rush in my reply too. I know I've seen threads about this, but can't remember the subject title. But, basically vb.org, or Jelsoft, can't do anything about it. Jelsoft doesn't have the copyright on your mods, you do. So, you can try asking them to remove them, but unfortunately, some of those places could care less about copyright law and you aren't going to get far in asking. It's best to just ignore them, I think.
I'm not overly worried about it, i know theres nothing much that can be done, unless you want to spend $$$$$ I may start to add my own copyright both on the forums and in the code, I found these guys on the net and wondered if anyone has has any dealings with them http://creativecommons.org/license/?jurisdiction=uk

I've chosen UK, but you can select your country from a dropdown, its more of a voluntry thing, but i guess the warez sites don't go by the rules of decency.

Anyway thanks for explaining lynne

Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:20

A couple of weeks ago I saw a guy on digital point selling a zip file with around 200 VB modifications in it. The price was like $5. I thought about reporting it, but who would I report it to?

And why would someone pay for a mod they can get for free, unless they do not have an active license.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:33

Originally Posted by kevcj View Post
And why would someone pay for a mod they can get for free, unless they do not have an active license.
That is the problem in a nutshell. The vBulletin 'pirate' scene is rampant with no way of controlling it. As soon as something is released here at vB.org, it is almost guaranteed to be reposted at other sites, sometimes within minutes.

You can search the forums here to see what the responses have been in the past when the issue has been brought up.

(Sorry, but I am no longer developing for vB; please do not PM. So long, and thanks for all the fish.)
Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:53

Sometimes those pirate sites are the only way to find a modification that suddenly went to the vb.org graveyard. I haven't had the need to do that since I keep backups of the mods I download but others might have.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 23:00

Originally Posted by kevcj View Post
A couple of weeks ago I saw a guy on digital point selling a zip file with around 200 VB modifications in it. The price was like $5. I thought about reporting it, but who would I report it to?

Wow thats bad, but i guess its an easy way of making money for these sellers, with all the nulled versions out there and our free mods being sold, they have it made

and like you, i'd be lost at even trying to report it??

Perhaps a self descruct code might suffice

--------------- Added 11 Mar 2009 at 23:01 ---------------

Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
The vBulletin 'pirate' scene is rampant with no way of controlling it. As soon as something is released here at vB.org, it is almost guaranteed to be reposted at other sites, sometimes within minutes.
Now that worries me Kev

Last edited by UKBusinessLive; 11 Mar 2009 at 23:01. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 12 Mar 2009, 00:00
nexialys

each time someone find for the first time that we have a dark side of the net, we see that kind of thread of panic and stress.

you can not have a safe side of things without an unsafe side... it's like " hell VS paradise " ... and it's not always clear which side is the paradise. you see the nulled market as a bad thing, but remember that if we would not have these nullifiers, you would have an unsafe software with flaws and insecure authentication. these pirates help you having a really efficient forum.

for the release side of things, yeap, it's bad... i always suffered this situation until vbEnhancer.com, because i did not want to see my stuff released there and unsupported... now i do not care anymore... they want to play with my stuff, that's bad for them, nobody will help them if they crash their forum.

in the last 2 years, i was involved in some of these pirates sites (yes you can check on google), because i wanted to spy on who was doing it and who was really using it... i can tell you that 90% of these "members" have no idea of how to manage vBulletin at first. they have their small fan sites hidden, and they ask for basic questions about how to change the vBulletin title in the footer... pathetic... their future is simple: they switch to phpBB and the more addicts are paying their license in the next months. for the 10% that have knowledge of what they do, i can tell that they are doing it just because they are renegades... most of them have legit licenses, they just do it to be different. and some just hate to pay for products because these products do not worth 100 or 200$.... this is something not related to vb.org because this site is not providing paid solutions.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 00:34

dont knock it some of these warezs sites are worth there weight in gold.Ive seen hacks on them that are not even available here and considering there are a lot smaller in size some of the better ones go out of there way to help members.
And yes ive seen hacks appear on these sites within minutes as well of them appearing on here but thats life i suppose even though i have nothing against it.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 00:37
nexialys

yeah, i know a lot of addons which never were release publically that were found on some of these sites... sometimes it's a good way to see what's in the commercial market!

there was even a place well known where some members were making requests like "i want nexia's hacks" ... i was happy to answer them myself.... sooo funny to see them hide after they get caught.. lol