Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
IRC Eggdrop Bot <---> vBulletin site Details »
IRC Eggdrop Bot <---> vBulletin site
Developer Last Online: Dec 2017 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.x.x Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 6
Released: 01 Aug 2012 Last Update: Never Downloads: 0
Not Supported  

A user here recently asked me about my "Users on IRC" modification. It's actually part of a fairly elaborate system of communication between my Eggdrop bots and my vBulletin site.

If you would like communication between your IRC Channel and your vBulletin site, read on.

I'm going to assume that you have an Eggdrop bot running already. If you don't, then none of this will work. I will not cover the installation and configuration of Eggdrop bots here. You can find plenty of articles online to help you there.

Also, I use the Rizon network, though I believe that most networks with NickServ services will work fine.

Okay, first thing you have to do is create some Options in your vBulletin Settings. (To do this, you have to be in Debug Mode.)

We need to create two Options. It doesn't matter if you make a separate group for them or not, and it doesn't matter what the human-readable names for them are--they will only be used for storing and retrieving info. The variable names, however, need to be: ircactivity and irclastcheck.

Next thing we need to do is create a new User Profile Field that your users can edit. This Profile Field is where the users will put their IRC handle(s). If they have more than one handle, they an separate them by commas (no spaces before or after!!!). Take note of the field name created--we'll need to remember it for the PHP Script.

Now, we come to the PHP Script. Take note of the first 15 lines--this will contain the stuff that you need to modify.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

(This is a VERY trimmed-down version of what I've got, but the stuff I omitted is largely specific to my particular forum, it's "item" database, it's Triple Triad cards, etc. This includes the check for IRC activity for the stuff in WGO, as well as simple WHOIS and REVERSE WHOIS functions to see who a IRC user is on the forum, or to see what a Forum User's IRC Handle is.)

And now, the Tcl script that you'd use for your Eggdrop bot. Again, pay particular attention to the first 15 lines--the Comments tell you what you'll have to Modify.

After setting all this up correctly, we'll use a little plugin on the hook process_templates_complete:

This will activate a IRC Users in WGO that looks like this:

You can add additional functions to your Eggdrop--have people PM from IRC to users on your vBulletin, have a function that reports statistics to IRC, etc. Just follow the examples of the !whois and !rwhois functions.

You can even return multi-line data. Take the example procedure below:

This will print out one line in IRC for each line the page has of content. Great for, say, outputting the members of a usergroup or something similar.

This code is not meant to use "as is," but is rather meant to be a reference for vB owners to be able to interface with their IRC channels. Or at least to give them a shove in the right direction. It will work (as long as you make the noted modifications) to place a IRC User List in "WGO", so I guess I can put it here in the Modifications. X3

Questions, comments? Post them.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Eggdrop Irc Manager Akex vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 79 12 Jun 2010 15:14
IRC post bot - No eggdrop PowerBlade vBulletin 2.x Full Releases 25 15 Apr 2003 21:24

Comments
Old 01 Aug 2012, 15:14

where is live demo link.......??????????????????
Old 01 Aug 2012, 15:19

You can view it at my forum, I guess. http://www.cleverbaka.com . But I think the screenshot is more or less good enough. XP
Old 02 Aug 2012, 07:28

Perhaps a nifty little button to join the IRC channel where the users are being displayed?
Old 02 Aug 2012, 10:21

For such a thing, you'd need only add the Button/Link code you want to the plugin where data is added to $template_hook['forumhome_wgo_pos2']. :3
Old 09 Aug 2012, 14:56

Originally Posted by Sarteck View Post
You can view it at my forum, I guess. http://www.cleverbaka.com . But I think the screenshot is more or less good enough. XP
That's quite intriguing. Congrats!

Question, I am in the process of setting up IRC, and so far I've only configured the IRC daemon (I picked charybdis). I also have atheme installed, but someone told me it'd be an overkill and Eggdrop would be sufficient for my needs (such as keeping a channel under control, auto +v, etc.). Would you agree?
Old 20 Nov 2012, 07:24

Does this stop any non forum users joining?

Also, what do I do to just have it not show users online, I'm not interested in displaying that.

Cheers