Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Mod Options
Welcome Panel Details »
Welcome Panel
Developer Last Online: Sep 2013 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 2.2.x Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 40
Released: 26 Nov 2001 Last Update: Never Downloads: 1
Not Supported Is in Beta Stage  

Well, I'm not sure where to put this, it's really a template edit, but includes a couple of hacks already posted on the "full releses" section. I put this together as a walkthrough for an admin friend, and thought someone might find it useful.

Like I said, it's a combination of 2 previously relesed hacks (both credited fully). One by Firefly (avatar hack) and one by MrLister (since your last visit). It combines both of these hacks into a welcome panel at the top of the BB, just like the one here and on a few other sites. I'm pretty much a newbie to vB hacking, and struggled to put this together myself (couldn't find any instructions/hacks etc), but I think I've done an OK job. Maybe this will save a few headaches to others like myself

Anyway, here's a few images to illustrate the hack/edit (or whatever it is )

A guests view of your forum homepage...

...and what they see when they have registered....

You can see a working verion of this hack here:

The Genome Collective

Thanks to Firefly and MrLister for providing the PHP hacks in this err, whatever

(BTW, if this is in the wrong forum, please (mods) feel free to move it)

here it is:

[EDIT] Updated 28-11-01 to correct a display issue, table border on the right now displays properly.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools Members Online in Admin Control Panel and Mod Control Panel Michael Biddle vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 29 11 Apr 2016 21:11
Welcome Panel [Final] trilOByte vBulletin 2.x Full Releases 458 24 Jul 2005 15:40

Comments
Old 26 Nov 2001, 10:50

melikes...ill install it l8r
Old 26 Nov 2001, 11:30

Originally posted by nafae
melikes...ill install it l8r
couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 26 Nov 2001, 16:10

great hack trilobyte

i wasnt too keen on the actual welcome panel as i thought the actual forum was too far down

instead of the welcome panel i just edited my forumhome template

underneath

<td><smallfont>
Registered Members: <b>$numbermembers</b><br>
Total Threads: <b>$totalthreads</b> | Total Posts: <b>$totalposts</b><br>
Welcome to our newest member, <a href="member.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&action=getinfo&userid=$newuserid"><b>$newusername</b></a>
</smallfont></td>

i put

<td align="center"><smallfont>
$avatarimage<br>Your chosen Avatar.
</smallfont></td>

I have attached an example.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: gif example.gif (8.7 KB, 267 views)
Old 26 Nov 2001, 20:41

I like it im gonna install it on my board .
Old 26 Nov 2001, 20:42

i do love the avatars

class
Old 26 Nov 2001, 21:00

im installing it, but it seems i have encountered something i dont get. It sayes it can be placed anywhere in forumhome_xxx template. Well i am in the "forumhome" tree, and I dont see forumhome_xxx there or anywhere else. If he means xxx as in "any of them" it doesnt matter in WHAT forumhome i put it in? sorry just wanted to clear that up
Old 27 Nov 2001, 03:09

I didnt like it when the users avatar was in that table man, cuz then the ON/OFF image of the PM's gets all messed up, and doesnt aling with the forums ON/OFF.

I made mine from scrap, and hacks throw together. The "User News Scroller" is just that, it scrolls some important user news, and threads, and tips. Hot links, sorta explains its self. It looks basically the same when logged out, but with an "GUEST" image as the avatar, no scroller, or hot links. PM is gone, and it just says a little "HEY JOIN NOW" thing, and im working in the login thing tonight (whoa, a whole 2 mins there)

I attached a shot of it when your loggedin.

Myles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot0.jpg (31.3 KB, 220 views)
Old 27 Nov 2001, 03:33

synx call me :stupid: but i dont understand... hehe
Old 27 Nov 2001, 03:36

what man, im just showing off my work
Old 27 Nov 2001, 03:45

da darling da...
Old 27 Nov 2001, 08:17

Originally posted by nafae
im installing it, but it seems i have encountered something i dont get. It sayes it can be placed anywhere in forumhome_xxx template. Well i am in the "forumhome" tree, and I dont see forumhome_xxx there or anywhere else. If he means xxx as in "any of them" it doesnt matter in WHAT forumhome i put it in? sorry just wanted to clear that up
Yeah, you can put the "$avatarimage" part into any forumhome template and it will show up as just the users avatar in the appropriate place. If you want to experiment, try putting just "$avatarimage" (sans quotes) in another forumhome template and see what happens!

It is a bit missleading I grant you, but this part of the hack was written by FireFly and I didn't want to change what he wrote.

What I have done, is placed $avatarimage into a custom table on the main page, along with another hack and a few other things, to create the welcome panel. Basically, you can take the bones of this and add stuff or screw around to create your own style - whatever you want.

Like someone else has said, there is more than one way to skin a cat - you can achieve this result in a number of ways, this just happened to work for me, so I posted it here.
Old 27 Nov 2001, 08:23

Originally posted by snyx
I didnt like it when the users avatar was in that table man, cuz then the ON/OFF image of the PM's gets all messed up, and doesnt aling with the forums ON/OFF.

Myles.
Yeah I know, the table width is set to 100, but that was cos I intended swapping out the standard vB on/off gif for a custom "you got mail/no new mail" image about 80px wide, so i just left it as is. I'm sure the table could be edited easy enough to match the others if it is an issue for you though.

Nice board BTW
Old 27 Nov 2001, 08:31

Oh yeah, if there are no glitches with this (anyone), maybe a mod could move it into a none "beta" area.
Old 27 Nov 2001, 19:09

i hvnt found glitch, i love it... i have gotten like 6 comments "i like that thing at the top of the forums" hehehe
Closed Thread