Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Encheferizer Details »
Encheferizer
Developer Last Online: Nov 2011 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.6.4 Rating: (17 votes - 4.94 average) Installs: 91
Released: 19 Dec 2006 Last Update: 07 Jan 2007 Downloads: 248
Not Supported Uses Plugins Additional Files  

The Encheferizer

Product
: Encheferizer 1.05
Author: Hugh Messenger (cheesegrits)
Support: On this thread only
Tested on: vBulletin 3.6.0 through 3.6.4
Average Install Time: 30 seconds

Summary

Do you have some troublesome users you want to punish but don't want to ban them just yet? Or maybe play a practical joke on some of your users? Or just have some good old fashioned Swedish Chef Fun? Then this is the mod for you.

What it Does

Displays all posts from a configurable list of UserID's and / or in ForumID's in "mock swedish". You don't have to have seen the Swedish Chef from the Muppet Show, but it sure would make a lot more sense if you have, Bork Bork Bork!

Individual encheferized users see their posts as usual:

Attachment 57831

Everyone else sees them like this:

Attachment 57830

Encheferized forums are "translated" in entirety - posts, titles, descriptions and all. Encheferized posts are NOT altered in the database, they are encheferized on the fly during template evaluation. So when you've had your fun, you just remove ID's from the list and things will go back to normal.

There are some options to control how victims see their own and other victims posts, see the ACP Encheferizer options for details (under the main vBulletin settings list). As of v1.03, the Encheferizer supports bbcode, smilies, IMG's and URL's.

Why?

Good question. Well, apart from just being funny as all get out, I wrote this for a friend who has some very persistant troublemakers on his forum. It turns out that Encheferization is a remarkably good tool for controlling Bad Boyz & Gurlz. It has a way of focusing peer pressure, creates much confusion amongst the Encheferized, and much hilarity for everyone else. Best of all, it renders the Encheferized unable to properly vent their spleen - after all, who can take threats of violence and foul language seriously when it is rendered in mock swedish?

And of course, having an enchererized forum on your board is just good old fashioned family fun!

Installation
  1. Copy bb_encheferizer.php to ./includes in your forum root.
  2. Import the product XML from your ACP Product Manager.
  3. Don't forget to hit the install button on this page. No, I'm not bucking for HOTM, I just want to be able to let you know about any updates!
Configuration
  1. Find the Encheferizer under the vBulletin Settings menu in your ACP.
  2. Enter a comma separated list of userids and/or forumids you want to encheferize.
  3. Light blue touch paper and stand well clear.
Upgrading
  1. Copy the new bb_encheferizer.php to your forum ./includes folder. If you are upgrading from 1.02 or earlier delete the old encheferizer.php.
  2. Re-import the product XML, remembering to set Overwrite to Yes.
Uninstallation
  1. Uninstall the product from the ACP Product Manager.
  2. Delete the ./includes/encheferizer.php and/or bb_encheferizer.php file(s).
Change History
  • 1.05 Fixed forum description and guest posting bugs.
  • 1.04 Fixed post caching bug. Fixed PM title bug (thanks Adrian). Improved bbcode support to prevent "[escaping the chef]".
  • 1.03 Added support for bbcode, smilies, IMG's and URL's.
  • 1.02 Added forum encheferization and "Victims See As" options.
  • 1.01 Changed version and ZIP numbering to match vborg version checking.
  • 1.0.1 Added thread and post title encheferizing, input validation on userid list
  • 1.0.0 Original release
Thanks

Major props to Erik Bakker for the original encheferizer.php port.

Thanks to SirAdrian for putting up with my dumb questions.

Productizing made easy using the Advanced Product Manager by mtha.

With Apologies To

The Swedish Chef. Bork Bork Bork!

Enjoy!

-- hugh

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	swedish_chef.GIF
Views:	2296
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	57830   Click image for larger version

Name:	swedish_normal.GIF
Views:	2174
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	57831   Click image for larger version

Name:	chef_cp.GIF
Views:	730
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	57917  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 04:05

I'll be kind and post the one from my StarCraft site.

Just a warning... foul language and hatred makes its appearance as the thread progresses. Enter at your own risk.

[enchef no longer active, so link removed]

I'm Aj, and cheesegrits is posting as "The Swedish Chef". It was a fun day to say the least.

Last edited by Adrian Schneider; 14 Mar 2007 at 06:01.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 00:31

Hey cheesegrits, I have a problem that maybe you could help me with. This hack, combined with a db error and another issue ended up deleting one of my users. Now I was able to reconstruct the user account, and I uninstalled this hack, along with deleting the file in the /includes folder. However, some (maybe 10%) of the user's posts are still being affected by this hack, despite it no longer being installed. Any idea how that's happening or where I should go to fix it? The posts are still intact, because if I go to edit them, I see the proper text. But somewhere in my forums, something is hanging on to this and I need to shake it look. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 14:36

First off, my apologies if the Encheferizer had anything to do with the problems. Although I am puzzled as to how it could have had anything to do with deleting a user, as all it does is modify some display variables just before they get eval'ed in the templates. It doesn't go anywhere within a mile of any database calls, so I doubt it had anything to do with any db errors, either.

I'm half way to North Carolina right now, having a hot spot pit stop breakfast. I'll PM you when I get where I'm going, to find out more about what other hacks you were running. I suspect to get rid of any remaining traces of chefspeak you may have to rebuild a cache somewhere. I do assure you though that nothing has been changed (by me!) in any of your databases. It's 100% done on the display / rendering end.

More news in another 500 miles or so.

-- hugh
Old 23 Dec 2006, 14:46

Thanks cheesegrits. Honestly, I don't know that this hack was at all responsible for this. I think it was just one of several factors. It happened that the user deleted was one currently under the effect of it, so that's all I'm basing it on.

No rush on this!
Old 24 Dec 2006, 14:14

I installed it on my board and i took one member for this mod. He always makes fun of anybody else and now he was standing in the spotlights and all the members loved it. Thanks for the big laugh your mod gaved us!
Old 25 Dec 2006, 12:51

Even though I have both "victims see self encheferized" and "victims see all encheferized" both set to no, the encheferized member see their own posts encheferized.

If I'm reading this right, they are supposed to see their posts normal. Is this acting properly or am I misunderstanding the options use?
Old 25 Dec 2006, 17:29

Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
Even though I have both "victims see self encheferized" and "victims see all encheferized" both set to no, the encheferized member see their own posts encheferized.

If I'm reading this right, they are supposed to see their posts normal. Is this acting properly or am I misunderstanding the options use?
I get the same thing. Also, when I set it to 'victims see all encheferized' they only see themselves encheferized, but not everyone else, and everyone can see the victims posts encheferized..
Old 26 Dec 2006, 05:13

Just to let y'all know I got to my destination ... three days of traveling, almost a thousand miles driven, half a dozen relatives and friends visited with ... it's great to finally be able to sit down and know we don't have to go anywhere for a couple of weeks (till that long haul back home!).

Anyway, it's midnight on Christmas night ... so Ho Ho Ho! I hope Santa was good to y'all, and I'll be back online tomorrow to answer your questions.

-- hugh
Old 28 Dec 2006, 01:54

Another thing you need to look at is private messages. The titles become encheferized regardless of the user or thier status with this mod.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 03:36

Hows this for weird?

I had one poster encheferized for testing, she replied in a thread and a few others did after her. I deleted their posts but left hers up. I had set her first so she couldn't see the effect then set it so she could. I then took her userid out of the mod, and saved it. She could still see that particular post encheferized. I could see it encheferized with her userid out of the mod.

Here's the really weird part though, I disabled the hack and we both could still see it encheferized. I then went to her post, edited it, without changing anything and saved it and then it was presented normal to everyone.

So it would appear at least from what I've seen that if you delete a post in a thread where someone has posted after they have been encheferized, it will stay that way even if the hack is disabled. How in the world is that happening?
Old 29 Dec 2006, 21:37

Another thing you need to look at is private messages. The titles become encheferized regardless of the user or thier status with this mod.
I have the same issue : the title is encheferized when you open a PM. The bug is there even when the mod is not enabled (empty fields)
Weird
Old 29 Dec 2006, 21:53

To prevent it from mucking up your private messages, try this:

In the "Encheferizer - main postbit" plugin, replace this
Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

with this
Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Basically it prevents it from running in the private messages.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 03:52

Just so folk know, I asked Aj to take a look at the PM issue this afternoon, as I was absolutely slammed with Pesky Real Work, and simply couldn't take the time out. I'm about to roll his fix into a new ZIP. Thanks, Adrian.

As for the Encheferization sometimes remaining on some posts even after the product is disabled, I've only ever been able to duplicate this once, and I'm still not sure a) how the heck it was happening, or b) what I did to cure it. I'm absolutely, definitely, posolutely not touching the database - I checked when it happened to me, and the three affected posts were in plain text in the database.

It's obviously something to do with being cached elsewhere in vB, and / or some other mod or hack. I just can't work out where or how! Literally all my code does is modify template display variables, as close to where they are rendered in the templates as the hook locations allow. I just can't imagine what would then be taking just some of those variables and caching them. And the normal cache rebuild ACP options don't seem to help.

I'm going to try again tonight to duplicate the effect. If nothing else, I might try some defensive measures, like resetting the display variables as soon as possible after the templates are eval'ed.

Until then, all I can do is assure you the database is still intact, and it is a temporary situation. I just wish I knew what I'd done to cure the only time it's happened to me!

More news when there is news,

-- hugh
Old 30 Dec 2006, 22:28

OK, I finally tracked down the post caching bug. The new v1.04 I just uploaded fixes that, along with the PM title bug, and has improvements to bbcode handling.

If you have "ghost posts" you need to un-cache so they return to normal, you just have to edit the post and save it. This will re-cache the normal text version.

Upgrade instructions are in the main doc. It's a 30 second upgrade. Just upload bb_encheferizer.php to your ./includes folder, and re-import the product XML (remembering to "Allow Overwrite").

-- hugh
Old 30 Dec 2006, 22:46

Tulsa - Sorry about the delay responding, I've been travelling over the holidays, and then had to concentrate on the post caching bug.

Yes, you are reading it correctly. And I do apologize for the confusing nature of those descriptions - it's not an easy thing to explain in a consice fashion! I'll have another go here:

If both options are set to No, victims should see no encheferization at all - not of their own posts, or any other victims posts.

If "Victims See Self Encherized" is set to Yes, victims should see their own posts chefed, but they should see other victims (and everyone else) as normal text.

If "Victims See All Encheferized" is set to Yes, all victims will see their own and all other victims posts chefed. This setting overrides a "Self" setting of "No".

Non-victims always show in normal text, except of course in fully chefed forums, where all posts from anyone are chefed, and seen by everyone that way.

If your board really is behaving differently, let me know, and I can take a look. Make sure you upgrade to 1.04 first though, see if that has any effect.

-- hugh