Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04 Nov 2017, 16:09
romaine's Avatar
romaine romaine is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Question How to delete all posts and forums?

I restored a vB 4 on a different hosting to test and I want to delete all posts and forums there but keeping members but the problem is I want to have new posts or forums that like a clean forum does, i.e

forum id starts from 1
post id starts from 1

I am thinking about empty forums and posts table in Phpmyadmin but I don't know that's possible or not because I think vBulletin table has relationships together so If I delete them, maybe cause some conflicts on forum?

Please advise me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04 Nov 2017, 16:10
Dave Dave is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Real name: Dave
I don't see why you would want to start from 1 again but the only way to achieve this is to execute

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

queries against all tables that have relationships with the post, thread and forum tables.
This will clear the data and reset the seed.
__________________
https://technidev.com - security, development, exploits, vBulletin
dave[at]technidev[dot]com

Contact me for custom vBulletin 3/4 work & server/website management.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04 Nov 2017, 17:18
aycan555 aycan555 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Real name: www.ultrapaylasim.com
If you dont want any conflicts, just install fresh one, and export only members from old database and import it to new one ..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04 Nov 2017, 17:26
romaine's Avatar
romaine romaine is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I don't see why you would want to start from 1 again but the only way to achieve this is to execute

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

queries against all tables that have relationships with the post, thread and forum tables.
This will clear the data and reset the seed.
It is just an example for what I want like a fresh forum because id of posts and forums on my forum are pretty big, like 85323 or 93232...etc If members continue posting then it will generate big numbers like that.

Originally Posted by aycan555 View Post
If you dont want any conflicts, just install fresh one, and export only members from old database and import it to new one ..
That's why I asked this question, I am using vB 4.25 and PHP 7 thus I could not use Impex to import members on a fresh forum.
__________________
Best smartphones 2018 - smartphones discussion forums, reviews and news.
Tranh phong cảnh, khung tranh đẹp

Last edited by romaine; 02 Feb 2018 at 07:16.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04 Nov 2017, 17:58
Dave Dave is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Real name: Dave
Is it that big of a problem to see numbers like that?
At some point it will reach that number again anyway.
__________________
https://technidev.com - security, development, exploits, vBulletin
dave[at]technidev[dot]com

Contact me for custom vBulletin 3/4 work & server/website management.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04 Nov 2017, 18:13
final kaoss final kaoss is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Originally Posted by romaine View Post
It is just an example for what I want like a fresh forum because id of posts and forums on my forum are pretty big, like 85323 or 93232...etc If members continue posting then it will generate big numbers like that.



That's why I asked this question, I am using vB 4.25 and PHP 7 thus I could not use Impex to import members on a fresh forum.
If you're worried about this affecting performance, don't worry, it will do no such thing. To truncate them just because you see the numbers getting larger is just paranoia. As stated, those numbers will keep growing with each post, so there's no real point in worrying about it.

Oh and I forgot to mention that by truncating them, you also run the risk of breaking internal links that your members may have linked to in threads.

Last edited by final kaoss; 04 Nov 2017 at 18:18.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05 Nov 2017, 02:23
romaine's Avatar
romaine romaine is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Is it that big of a problem to see numbers like that?
At some point it will reach that number again anyway.
It is not a big problem to see numbers like that but it is my requirement to have new ids on a new forum.

Yeh I think even truncate a table can not solve the problem because it has relations between tables

Originally Posted by final kaoss View Post
If you're worried about this affecting performance, don't worry, it will do no such thing. To truncate them just because you see the numbers getting larger is just paranoia. As stated, those numbers will keep growing with each post, so there's no real point in worrying about it.

Oh and I forgot to mention that by truncating them, you also run the risk of breaking internal links that your members may have linked to in threads.
You are right, truncate a table can not help to posts or forums have new ids like on a fresh forum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools [Tags Killer] Delete all tags mod ( mass tags delete ) merkaz vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 22 09 Jan 2012 10:05



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 20:50.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: