Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 17 Apr 2015, 02:40
pjkcards pjkcards is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Best way to convert theme to responsive?

What's the best way to convert my theme to responsive so it loads fine on all devices?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17 Apr 2015, 02:52
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by pjkcards View Post
What's the best way to convert my theme to responsive so it loads fine on all devices?

Thanks.
which vB version you are using?
__________________
The best webmaster forum & internet marketing forum for webmasters and internet marketers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17 Apr 2015, 03:47
pulptoon pulptoon is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
I am curious also about this. My theme is the paragon and my version 4.2.2
Not sure how to turn off the default mobile theme or add the desktop version option with the new theme.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17 Apr 2015, 04:11
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by pulptoon View Post
I am curious also about this. My theme is the paragon and my version 4.2.2
Not sure how to turn off the default mobile theme or add the desktop version option with the new theme.
It's possible to convert your theme into responsive design if you are using vB verion 4xx
I spent about one day to change my forum style to responsive
You can have a look on our forum template http://www.webmastersun.com

I thought I can use CSS framework to integrate and make it as responsive design but it's impossible so I have to use my custom CSS codes to make a responsive theme for our forum.

Best way to convert theme to responsive is you need to know on how to design a html template to a responsive html template so you will feel easy to edit vBulletin templates and custom what you want on your theme into responsive.

Maybe your forum theme and my forum theme has the difference a bit on parts but it's common way to do, you need to make it view well on PC, tablets and smartphones and don't forget to check on real these devices.

Note that Google algorithm will affect for non responsive design on the 21 of April so your site can be decreased rankings on mobile search results if you don't have a responsive theme for your site.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by webmastersun; 17 Apr 2015 at 04:52.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17 Apr 2015, 05:35
pulptoon pulptoon is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Thanks for the help and reply and cool site!

I am not the savviest on going in and customizing manually. I could but I'm not even sure where to find the mobile css...I looked at a file in the client scripts folder and I believe it was the css to the mobile default style, but the code was all jumbled together and impossible for me to edit.

If I buy a mobile skin and add it, can I keep the paragon for the desktop version and use the new mobile one I get just for mobile?

Thanks so much for your help.

Also, ever since installing the new theme, the option to go to desktop version is gone on mobile. Is there any way to set this back? I tried ticking the two default mobile styles for old and new devices but it did nothing.

Last edited by pulptoon; 17 Apr 2015 at 06:25.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17 Apr 2015, 12:37
SaN-DeeP's Avatar
SaN-DeeP SaN-DeeP is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
webmastersun, Very impressive design..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19 Apr 2015, 16:46
TheAdminMarket's Avatar
TheAdminMarket TheAdminMarket is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real name: Christos Teriakis
Searching for something else I found the first (and only?) responsive style for vB4.
http://demo.themecrate.com/forum.php

But please check all sections in the demo as I haven't time to do it. I just checked the profile page which is really very good and the most common public pages. Maybe is a good idea to check if there are demo login details to login and see the usercp.

Also take in account that as vB4 is not responsive by default most addons (if not all), including mine, are not using responsive design.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19 Apr 2015, 17:45
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
Searching for something else I found the first (and only?) responsive style for vB4.
No I don't think so, I found some vB 4 sites they converted to responsive design, it's also a good theme that I have seen before.

Now our forum http://www.webmastersun.com is in responsive design .Honestly I didn't think i would change my theme to responsive if I didn't receive an message from google noticed our forum didn't have a responsive design. This happened in Google WMT.


Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
Also take in account that as vB4 is not responsive by default most addons (if not all), including mine, are not using responsive design.
You are right on this because vB4 default is not responsive so they will not think to make addons into responsive design.
__________________
The best webmaster forum & internet marketing forum for webmasters and internet marketers.

Last edited by webmastersun; 19 Apr 2015 at 18:22.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20 Apr 2015, 06:18
TheAdminMarket's Avatar
TheAdminMarket TheAdminMarket is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real name: Christos Teriakis
Originally Posted by webmastersun View Post
No I don't think so, I found some vB 4 sites they converted to responsive design, it's also a good theme that I have seen before.

Now our forum http://www.webmastersun.com is in responsive design .Honestly I didn't think i would change my theme to responsive if I didn't receive an message from google noticed our forum didn't have a responsive design. This happened in Google WMT.
.
Maybe I was not so clear in my post as I was in rush. I meant that is the first (if not the only) COMMERCIAL style for vBulletin.

I've seen yours, really nice work, but your style is not for sharing while the other is.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20 Apr 2015, 08:25
Brandon Sheley's Avatar
Brandon Sheley Brandon Sheley is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Real name: Brandon
Just an FYI, because I've been answering this question a lot lately with my clients, you can use vbulletin 4x's built in mobile style and google will pass it.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/

This will buy you some time to make a proper responsive design for your forum, and you don't have to worry about losing your rank in google.
__________________

Email me for website help: brandon[at]sheley[dot]org
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20 Apr 2015, 09:42
TheAdminMarket's Avatar
TheAdminMarket TheAdminMarket is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real name: Christos Teriakis
Originally Posted by Brandon Sheley View Post
Just an FYI, because I've been answering this question a lot lately with my clients, you can use vbulletin 4x's built in mobile style and google will pass it.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/
.
Thank you for sharing this valuable link !! I tested my forum script and got "Fantastic !!" (at least in Greek language).
http://www.christeris.net/bb/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20 Apr 2015, 10:31
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
I've seen yours, really nice work, but your style is not for sharing while the other is.
Thanks for viewing our forum template, I only edited some small parts to make vB style better

I will design some vBulletin templates soon and share them for free but not for this template

Originally Posted by Brandon Sheley View Post
Just an FYI, because I've been answering this question a lot lately with my clients, you can use vbulletin 4x's built in mobile style and google will pass it.

This will buy you some time to make a proper responsive design for your forum, and you don't have to worry about losing your rank in google.
Maybe you misunderstood because mobile style is different from responsive style so that it can still affect by this update

Also this G Algo has been announced by our forum members here http://www.webmastersun.com/threads/...ve-SEO-benefit

Hope that helps!

Last edited by webmastersun; 20 Apr 2015 at 10:47.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25 Apr 2015, 09:10
sadiq6210 sadiq6210 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Real name: Sadiq
Originally Posted by webmastersun View Post
Thanks for viewing our forum template, I only edited some small parts to make vB style better

I will design some vBulletin templates soon and share them for free but not for this template
I will appreciate that
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19 May 2015, 05:12
pjkcards pjkcards is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Originally Posted by Brandon Sheley View Post
Just an FYI, because I've been answering this question a lot lately with my clients, you can use vbulletin 4x's built in mobile style and google will pass it.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/

This will buy you some time to make a proper responsive design for your forum, and you don't have to worry about losing your rank in google.
This doesn't work. In our settings we have it set to redirect to the mobile theme for mobile users. But when I test the URL in the link posted, it fails. How are you creating the redirect?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19 May 2015, 10:49
TheAdminMarket's Avatar
TheAdminMarket TheAdminMarket is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real name: Christos Teriakis
Originally Posted by pjkcards View Post
This doesn't work. In our settings we have it set to redirect to the mobile theme for mobile users. But when I test the URL in the link posted, it fails. How are you creating the redirect?

Thanks.
Do a test. Make the mobile style to be default even for the normal website and then check again the URL.

Have many years to work with the mobile style, but I think that is not really responsive. Is just a normal style with special templates for short wide screens.

Not 100% sure, but I think that Google checks if the template (syntax on templates) is responsive and not if the template can works is short wide screens.

EDITED: Try this link: http://www.forobook.com/ If you see the page's code you'll see that the template has special syntax. I think that Google checks for something like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 14:54.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: