Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:20

vBulletin to Facebook

Hi,

I have finally been able to port a basic installation of vbulletin to Facebook. Basically, my vbulletin is avaialble as a Facebook application. The link is the following: http://apps.facebook.com/vbulletin/

Please let me know what you think,

Best.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:32

very clever but is that okay under the license agreement?
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:44

Originally Posted by Reeve of shinra View Post
very clever but is that okay under the license agreement?
I am certainly not a lawyer .. but as long as you enable your users to get RSS feeds in Google Reader I don't see why you could not provide them with an additional view. This Facebook "view" does not require a new installation of vbulletin (or separate server.) It uses the same forum but with additional plugins and style. And few configuration settings in Facebook.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:45

This is a password protected page. Please provide a demo login.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:50

Originally Posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
This is a password protected page. Please provide a demo login.
Hi Marco,

I am not sure I understand. It is a Facebook application. If you have a Facebook account, by just clicking on the link provided you should have access to it. I could alternatively post screenshots if you do not have a Facebook account.

Last edited by totogui; 27 Jan 2009 at 16:00.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:56

Screenshot:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vb_in_fb.jpg (82.6 KB, 552 views)
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:59

You are putting us in a difficult situation now. Our Community Reviews Guidelines states that you must provide a demo login when you want a review that is password protected.

And no you can not ask our members to register at facebook.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:00

Originally Posted by totogui View Post
Hi Marco,

I am not sure I understand. It is a Facebook application. If you have a Facebook account, by just clicking on the link provided you should have access to it. I could alteernatively post screenshots if you do not have a Facebook account.
When you click on the link it immediately displays the following:

"Allowing vbulletin access will let it pull your profile information, photos, your friends' info, and other content that it requires to work."

I hit cancel and so will a lot of people without any information, so that's probably what he meant by a demo login.
Attached Images
File Type: gif yourapp.gif (8.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:00

I am not sure what i must think about that screenshot. If that is a real life page, showing how someone can create a forum in facebook, then it is full of copyrighted images.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:02

Originally Posted by NeroObsedian View Post
When you click on the link it immediately displays the following:

"Allowing vbulletin access will let it pull your profile information, photos, your friends' info, and other content that it requires to work."

I hit cancel and so will a lot of people without any information, so that's probably what he meant by a demo login.
If it requires you to share your information before even looking at what this package might be, then it is for sure not allowed on vB.org.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:04

You are putting us in a difficult situation now. Our Community Reviews Guidelines states that you must provide a demo login when you want a review that is password protected.

And no you can not ask our members to register at facebook.
I certainly do not intend to break any rule so If you believe that there is a section that is more appropriate please feel free to move this thread.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:06

Brilliant work - a few bugs here and there but amazing over all
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:07

If it requires you to share your information before even looking at what this package might be, then it is for sure not allowed on vB.org.

Can anyone confirm this?
It runs as a standard Facebook application, nothing more nothing less .. Facebook will display such information with any application .. In fact you can control what you want to share with a Facebook application .. You can even decide not to share anything .. and this can be tailored ..
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:07

It is.

Facebook apps require that you allow them to access your personal data that is in your facebook profile. In this case it seems to register you to the vBulletin install using this information. I completed the process and was auto connected with my Facebook ID.

Not sure if it really violates any copyrights or not, since it could be seen as an extreme example of bridging between two applications while using Facebook to host the forum files. However it does require a facebook account to even view it, and it does share data with the profile.

If you allow it access, you can remove that access later under the settings menu.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:31

Hi TOT,
Nice work, however I don't like this at all. To me, sort of a security issue. I'll pass but good work.

Gabby