Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Force Users to Read a Thread Details »
Force Users to Read a Thread
Developer Last Online: Jun 2010 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.6.x Rating: (69 votes - 4.68 average) Installs: 1017
Released: 09 Jul 2007 Last Update: 05 Mar 2008 Downloads: 4611
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Additional Files  

vB 3.7 version of this hack here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=172155

Force Users to Read a Thread 2.0

About this hack:
This hack allows you to set a thread as 'must read' by your members. Right now, if you make a post and want all your members to read it, you have no way of enforcing it. This hack will give an error message similar to the one you get when you need to change you password, saying that the admins want you to read a certain thread before they continue using the forum.

Once a user reads a thread, they wont be bugged to read it again.

You can set all usergroups or just certain onces that must read a thread.

You can set to site wide or just some forums.

Option to Force Guests

This hack added one query to every page on your forum a member goes to.
  • Files edited: 0
  • Templates edited: 0
  • Files to upload: 2 (1 via ACP, 2 via FTP)
  • Time to install: 1 minute
Updates:

Version 2.0 (03/05/08):
  • First Release of this Hack for vb3.7
  • MAJOR update. Hack totally re-writen. You must uninstall old version before upgrading.
  • Fixed just about all bugs. (like if you delete a thread...)
  • No more template edit. Everything done in ACP.
  • Permissions for by who ever has ACP access with threads and posts
  • Force Guests to read a thread now.
  • Works for BOTH vb3.6 AND vb3.7
Please post your comments or suggestions for this hack. I read ALL posts.

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK INSTALL!
You will get an email when a new version is released.

Pictures:
  • The error message.
  • The universal options.
  • Where you go to set the settings.
  • The list of forums that have force read settings.
  • The edit/add screen.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	6037
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	66717   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	76760   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	875
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	76761   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1449
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	76762  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	76763  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Moderators Functions Force Users to Read a Thread Abe1 vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 422 04 Dec 2015 16:08

Old 09 Jul 2007, 11:14

hm it's not working for me, i just did it on one of my threads, and asked my mate to log in and he didnt see anything...also i log'd back in as a normal member and sore nothing.....is there anything i missed doing? i uploaded the xml and did the template edits....
Old 09 Jul 2007, 11:34

does this work for everyone else?
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:16

Originally Posted by imk View Post
does this work for everyone else?
Works on my forum. You set the settings on a thread but it didn;t ask all users to read it? Go check the settings again. I would need 2 user accounts on your forum to test it out. One of couse an admin one. If you still have trouble, send me a PM.

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:16

will this come everytime the users log in or jus` for one time......

I mean if the user has not read the rules and regulations of the forum(watever they might be) he is directed to that forum thread and when he reads the whole Rules and Thread thing and check the box below then only he/she gets access to the site........
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:18

Originally Posted by radarhunter View Post
will this come everytime the users log in or jus` for one time......

I mean if the user has not read the rules and regulations of the forum(watever they might be) he is directed to that forum thread and when he reads the whole Rules and Thread thing and check the box below then only he/she gets access to the site........
This will only tell a user once to read the thread. Once they read it, it wont bother them again. Also, they can't do ANYTHING on your forum unless they go and read the thread.

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:23

k thank man nice one. Just wat i want.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:36

check your pms please still not working
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:44

Originally Posted by imk View Post
check your pms please still not working
did u edit ur showthread template ????
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:47

I misset this one, thanks a lot mate for make this available.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:48

can the particular thread be unmanaged too ??? cause i didn`t see an option there ???

or if one goes other will have to take it`s place ???
Old 09 Jul 2007, 12:53

yes i did, the option is there also but it just doesnt come up.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 13:09

Originally Posted by radarhunter View Post
can the particular thread be unmanaged too ??? cause i didn`t see an option there ???

or if one goes other will have to take it`s place ???
If you go back to the thread, click to manage it, and remove all checkboxes, then save, no-one must see this thread again.

If you have more then one set, a user get info to read one, after he reads this one, he will get info to read the next one.

Old 09 Jul 2007, 13:24

sounds great ... i'll install it asap . btw who can see that option in thread tools ?

thanks
Old 09 Jul 2007, 13:26

I like it, thanks abe
Old 09 Jul 2007, 13:29

Originally Posted by Mecho View Post
sounds great ... i'll install it asap . btw who can see that option in thread tools ?

thanks
Only a member that has 'Can Manage Threads' permission will be able to use the options.