Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 14 Oct 2009, 14:50

Originally Posted by Llandy View Post
Hehe, no worries. Yeah, just give it some time and you'll have loads of good free mods, skins and design for the 4.0 version. Meanwhile enjoy your vB software, it's awesome

I'm sure with some minor tweaking, your skin can be used on 4.0.
Cool! You think the skin can be tweaked? That would be brilliant! I'll investigate that option nearer installation time! Thanks again!

Originally Posted by feldon23 View Post
Just in case it's not clear, if you have an Active vB license now, then you are getting a "visitor's pass" to try out vB4 until your license expires. Then it will cost $175 to get a real vB4 license. If you let your license expire, then you are a NEW CUSTOMER for $195.

Then when vB5 comes out in 12-18 months (exact quote from Ray Morgan), that will be another $130? $175? $195?

All those people who were saying that each vB having a fixed price would work out cheaper than $40 ($60?) a year have been proven WRONG. $300-500 for 4 years is more than $40 or even $60 a year.
So does that mean someone like me who has only just bought the owned license for 3.8.4 would have a "visitors pass" for a year? Because in that case that's quite sweet as by the time my pass runs out theoretically I shouldn't have to wait too long for version 5.0 and so should wait until then to buy the license again.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 15:21

I have no intention of upgrading to 4.0 until it has been tried and tested. IMHO new versions usually introduce bugs, security holes and the like and it has proved prudent to stay a little behind the crowd and just apply security patches to the old version until a new version gets into it's second release.

The VB4 upgrade pricing structure is just not viable for me I barely cover costs at the moment. I purchased an owned licence so I can closely monitor my costs and the goal posts have now been moved.

The new features of VB4 suite do not interest me. I guess I will stick with 3.8 for a while but my licence runs out in December.

Will I still be able to download security patches for 3.8 when my licence expires? Somehow I think not! No licence = no login at vbulletin.com.

WHY NOT SAY VB4 onwards is a new pricing structure (for new users) but for all pre 3.8 and VB4 budget (non suite forum only users) you stick on your existing contract with owned licence renewals maybe just adding a little more to the annual renewal cost if people want VB4.

IPB or SMF look like my only option as I no longer trust VB as a company.

Forcing people to pay large fees like this at short notice is commercial suicide. Those who can will pay and hate your brand and prepare to move away and those that can't will just have to dissapear.

If someone puts a gun to my head I look for a way to defend myself rather than comply with their unreasonable demands.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 17:13

Seems that they need urgently cash to pay the programmers, otherwise the project will never finish

I'm trying to find if there is any ETA for the release. ...or I need to pay without knowing when I'll get it?
Old 14 Oct 2009, 17:26

Originally Posted by lostgirl815 View Post
And from what I read over there, apparently if we don't upgrade to 4.0 we don't get to come over here and download Mods anymore when our current license expires. And, we can't renew our 3.8 license - we can only upgrade. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, which I hope I am. All my favorite things on my current version of vB are mods that came from here.
On what do you base this ? If you licence is valid, then you will have access to vb.org.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 17:27

I'm sure with some minor tweaking, your skin can be used on 4.0.
Not true Im afraid. The template syntax has changed in 4.0, so it will generally take much more than a few minor tweaks for styles to work on vb4.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 17:40

Originally Posted by Miss Chatterbox View Post
So does that mean someone like me who has only just bought the owned license for 3.8.4 would have a "visitors pass" for a year? Because in that case that's quite sweet as by the time my pass runs out theoretically I shouldn't have to wait too long for version 5.0 and so should wait until then to buy the license again.
From memory, I started with vB around the time of v3 coming out. That was over 4 years ago. Your license would have expired 1 year in, and you wouldn't be eligible for any 4.x upgrades from that point.

Not that we can use past experience to predict future vB-related happenings any more.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 18:11

what happens to those who already have the blog product? we loose it if we dont upgrade to the suite?
Old 14 Oct 2009, 18:26

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by maidos View Post
agree this is a complete BS 250 usd for existing customer... arent they greedy for more money ...im selling my license and going with iipb for christ sake
Good luck.... I'm willing to pay $ 5.00 Bucks for your license....
I think you're gonna find them for free in Craigslist pretty soon.
Who will pay for the license of a product that has reach its end of life??

Originally Posted by yessir View Post
One way or another, they are screwing over existing license owners who bought OWNED licenses.
Exactly!!
Originally Posted by TNCclubman View Post
Are there any truths to the rumour the guys that left vB 2 months ago are starting their own old school vB type forum software?
I sure hope so...
Thats what happened to TriBox with PIAF...
And needless to say, communities are great... But UNFORGIVEN...
Old 14 Oct 2009, 18:36

why have the only released a price for the suite and not the "forum only" i want to know
Old 14 Oct 2009, 18:46

Who's to say that in a year from now they won't "change" their pricing policy again and start charging for updates? The problem I've got is trust. For the people that paid for a "lifetime" license turns out to be a lie. Myself, I'm leasing a license, so $130 isn't as bad. But I paid for a blog that will be useless. Think I need to check out my options. "Once bitten, twice shy."

Last edited by BigDog56; 14 Oct 2009 at 18:55.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 19:01

I find this interesting;

Originally Posted by Wayne Luke
Some screenshots of the vBulletin 4.0 Suite have been released. You can see them here:
http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots

More will be made available as time permits.
They can't even be arsed to get a substantial amount of screenies up for us to look at let alone a demo. I know not many people are happy about the timescale of this 'presale event' but they know what they're doing. My first reaction to the email is crap I better get buying it and I nearly went through with it but then I thought, they know a lot of people will be thinking this and rush to buy it and save a lot of money compared to the full price, then after the three weeks is up they'll give us the demo or more screenies and then we'll realise how crap the new version is but be stuck with it.

Sod Vbulletin, I'm off I think.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 19:05

Someone correct me if I am wrong but this vB 4.0 is not the complete rewrite is it?

It's still going to be sometime until the whole base code for 3.x series is rewritten?
Old 14 Oct 2009, 19:08

Originally Posted by Megatr0n View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but this vB 4.0 is not the complete rewrite is it?
No, its not a complete rewrite.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 19:22

Well, you should contact vB.com and ask them if u get the free upgrade or not. If you do, then you could always download the upgrade and install it later? Like with you, I've got the latest 3.8.4 version, and will most likely purchase the 4.0 suite in a week or so (so i get the discount). Apart from that, i have no rush in upgrading my forum to 4.0
Llandy,
vBulletin 4 is still only in alpha stage, at present, so even if you decide to buy the suite at discount price before the 30th, you will probably not get vBulletin4 for months.
This is the problem...
The new owners of vBulletin are asking us to buy something that is not even released and has no release date.

Thats like going into a shop to buy a television, paying for it and then the shop saying "we will deliver it some time in the future but we cant tell you when"
Old 14 Oct 2009, 19:47

Originally Posted by morrow View Post
My users don't use the Blogs. There are so many better FREE blogs out there right now, why bother with VB's? Ok, so now you get a VBulletin CMS... VBAdvanced is a pretty nice CMS and it's FREEEEEEEEEEEE.
vbadvanced is a portal, vb suite contains a CMS. There is a (big) difference. I don't know how good the CMS will be, or the suite... but if its good, IF, then paying $130 now is a great deal, believe me. The problem is.. we just don't know if it's worth paying for. They should have a demo, screenshots are not enough to make a pre-sale IMO.
Closed Thread