Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24 Jan 2014, 00:34

Bye Guys

I just got an email from a Saudi prince who is going to give me a boat load of cash. Once it gets here I won't be here again. Nice knowing you.

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Old 24 Jan 2014, 00:42

Well that is interesting, I as sure you provided your back account info so they can transfer the money into your account.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 00:44

Ofcourse. I also sent him some money to pay for the transfer. I figure it is the least I can do.

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Old 24 Jan 2014, 01:41

That's cool, I wonder if I was to provide him with my info, if he would do the same for me.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 01:42

I think he would Ozzy. I am happy to forward the email to you. I actually have a ton of them. I guess he has been trying to reach me for years.

Old 24 Jan 2014, 01:45

Awesome, maybe if we can get a few more family and members from here in on it, we can all pitch in and but a deserted island with our new found fortune, and start a new country.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 02:09

Sure. A country just for Vb devs? Than instead of an online forum we could all just meet in a giant building.

Sad news though is that I am starting to think these emails are a fraud. Ever since I paid him and he drained my accounts I haven't been able to get in touch with him. I am also a little curious as to why a Saudi prince would be in Nigeria.

Call me naive but I would never expect someone to send me a dishonest email especially to my spam(Super Premium Awesome Mail) folder.

Old 24 Jan 2014, 02:15

Maybe he is just waiting on the banks to convert your money into his currency, so he can pay the transfer fees, and the conversion fees to send the money to your bank account.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 02:19

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
Maybe he is just waiting on the banks to convert your money into his currency, so he can pay the transfer fees, and the conversion fees to send the money to your bank account.
Yeah, that must be it.

Seriously though, do they really ever hitch anyone with these things? I know it is a numbers game but after so many years I can't believe anyone would fall for it.

I remember many years ago I got one that looked just like an Ebay thing and I logged in and found it was not real. I was quick enough to change my info though but that was years ago. I can't see many falling for these things now especially the emails about how they want to send you a bunch of money.

Old 24 Jan 2014, 02:21

Yes people fall for it all the time, look at it like this, everyday there is new users to the internet, that have not had experience at all, so they are naive.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 02:50

ozzy47 is correct. Many millions of dollars are sent to the scammers and cause a lot of heartache for the victims.

It is said that the third largest source of income in Nigeria after oil and minerals is fraud.

It is estimated that in Lagos alone there are over 150,000 active scammers and they send out a LOT of scam emails. They just work the percentages.

The last guestimate of scam websites was 7.5 million. So sadly the scammers are stealing a lot of money.

The scammers and hackers and their supporters need to be stopped.

"He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it." Seneca
Old 24 Jan 2014, 03:02

I guess I did not think of it that way about new people coming to the internet. I agree we need to stop these guys but it really does not seem possible without removing some freedoms we have now on the net.

I know some of the phishing emails seem more legit than others but some are just so stupid and obvious.

I wonder how much bandwidth these spam emails take up every year. It must be a huge amount.

Old 24 Jan 2014, 03:08

You would be suprised at how many of the emails they send are from sites with un-secure email capabilities, they just piggyback off ot these sites, and use their resources, costs them nothing.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 03:38

I agree we need to stop these guys but it really does not seem possible without removing some freedoms we have now on the net.

I know some of the phishing emails seem more legit than others but some are just so stupid and obvious.
We can help to stop these scammers by all working together. The scammers and their supporters need our combined action to stop them.

The anti-fraud websites are doing a very good job against large odds. The arrest rate of the scammers is increasing now due to the hard work of some very dedicated people. It will continue to increase as we evolve.

Yes some of the scam emails are very poor and others are very advanced.

The aligning of some of the ex Russian IT guys who came on the market after the closure of the "cold war" with the "419 scammers resulted in an increase of sophistication in some of the scams. Especially regarding hacking procedures.

Fortunately we anticipated a lot of this and set in place some methods for dealing with them.

Although we are vastly outnumbered we are making good inroads into stopping many scams.

"He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it." Seneca
Old 24 Jan 2014, 14:59

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
You would be suprised at how many of the emails they send are from sites with un-secure email capabilities, they just piggyback off ot these sites, and use their resources, costs them nothing.
I didn't mean how much it costs the spammers but just how much of the total internet bandwith is taken by these billions of spams messages sent out daily.

The worst part was mentioned by Al how they hack into sites and servers, computers, email accounts and send their spam from there.

I do my part against it by reporting as much as I can and by using Akistmet, etc on my sites but as long as it is profitable by these people they will continue to do it the same way drug dealers and other criminals do.