Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Automatic Template Compiler Details »
Automatic Template Compiler
Mod Version: 1.00, by Adrian Schneider (Coder) Adrian Schneider is offline
Developer Last Online: Mar 2021 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.0 Beta 4 Rating: (14 votes - 4.93 average) Installs: 82
Released: 13 Feb 2008 Last Update: 13 Feb 2008 Downloads: 628
Supported Uses Plugins Additional Files Is in Beta Stage  

Development Tool: Automatic Template Compiler
Requirements: PHP 5, vBulletin 3.5+

Summary: Allows you to edit HTML files directly instead of using the AdminCP template editor. ATC will automatically update the database if any changes are detected. This is intended for a development environment only, and will only run while in debug mode.

Why: Template development is a huge PITA because of how templates are stored in the database - they are compiled. This means you cannot simply save a file, or update the database, because vBulletin needs to compile them first, and maybe even update the style cache. This saves TONS of time copy pasting and switching between your editor, your page, and the vBulletin template editor box.

How it works: ATC maintains a checksum (md5 hash) of each template body, and when it finds that one is out of sync with your working copy, it will save that template automatically in a very efficient manner. It updates both the template about to be displayed in memory and also the real copy in the database.

It also includes a very basic import utility so you can copy your existing templates into the filesystem for easy editing.

How to use it: Follow the install instructions, and then whenever you edit a file, the changes will transfer to vBulletin itself.

This was written in PHP 5 (OO) and I have no plans to make it work with PHP 4, but I may eventually build an interface to manage the settings, but for developers, configuring it should be no problem.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 08:59

by the way, in the $config, what do you mean for product_id and version?

if i set it on:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

it doesn't create any html page on the template folder...
Old 18 Mar 2008, 00:02

Thank you for such smart idea. It saves a lot of time and efforts.
Tthanks again.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 23:35

Now, this is a very useful modification. Thank you for creating it. Maybe you should suggest jelsoft that they include this into their distribution. Not that I will installing any of the 3.7.0+ versions due to a lot of networking crap in there that I don't think can even be turned off, but still...
Old 30 Mar 2008, 02:34

Let me see if I understand this thing.

Does this mean that with this installed I can open my vBulletin in Dreamweaver, make whatever changes I want, and then it will be updated on my site just like that to reflect the changes I made? If so, that's awesome.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 03:32

Does this work for 3.7.0 RC1?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:10

Any chance of some screenshots?

I like to know what I'm installing before I install it...saves a lot of work later

My host has an upgrade to 5.0 button in my website panel but am reluctant to click on it until everything I have on my vbulletin site works with it....is it backwards compatible?
Old 29 Apr 2008, 22:19

There is nothing to screenshot...
Old 30 Apr 2008, 01:47

Originally Posted by furst View Post
Let me see if I understand this thing.

Does this mean that with this installed I can open my vBulletin in Dreamweaver, make whatever changes I want, and then it will be updated on my site just like that to reflect the changes I made? If so, that's awesome.
Yes. Your templates basically become html files you can edit with your choice of editor. Any changes you make will be automatically compiled back into vB the next time any page is loaded.

-- hugh
Old 30 Apr 2008, 14:31

Originally Posted by cheesegrits View Post
Yes. Your templates basically become html files you can edit with your choice of editor. Any changes you make will be automatically compiled back into vB the next time any page is loaded.

-- hugh
Now that makes sense. Kind of like downloading a html page, editing it, uploading it again and vb converts it back into a template ready for use.

Good idea
Old 02 May 2008, 00:00

I've got this rather strange issue. Earlier I downloaded 41 templates, formatted them and reuploaded via SSH. ATC found them.

Now, I added phrases to all those templates from my desktop and again reuploaded. ATC can't find them. If I open from server and save (without doing anything) ATC finds them .... Are there any issues with ATC and variables?
Old 02 May 2008, 08:58

Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
I've got this rather strange issue. Earlier I downloaded 41 templates, formatted them and reuploaded via SSH. ATC found them.

Now, I added phrases to all those templates from my desktop and again reuploaded. ATC can't find them. If I open from server and save (without doing anything) ATC finds them .... Are there any issues with ATC and variables?
Maybe it is checking the created or modified date on the file?
Old 04 May 2008, 02:31

I haven't been able to get this to work. I'm not sure what's going wrong. Would you mind updating the product here?
Old 05 May 2008, 09:33

So i went and downloaded the code from the SVN, which wasnt entirely working (much like ATC was).

Attached is a few modifications (and screenshots).

Currently it only works for the master style (-1).

It does support wildcards for the product field (example: ./templates/Master/vBulletin, %, 0, -1 )
Attached Images
File Type: png template_directory.png (13.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg vde_options.jpg (37.4 KB, 44 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip vde2.zip (7.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 05 May 2008, 18:59

Originally Posted by Lionel View Post

I've come across a similar issue ... I'll bug AJ about it when I can catch him online. He's getting harder and harder to to pin down as his Daddyhood Date approaches!

-- hugh
Old 07 May 2008, 22:33

Ok. I downloaded and installed this and now I'm completely clueless as to where to go from here. Is there any kind of "Getting Started" steps, tutorials, or something to kick us Noobs in the right direction? I'd like to use DW CS3. What information do I add to the Plugin... Do I create a "/template" folder on my hosting service or locally? I'm also currently using Wamp locally and would like to replicate my remote vb installation on my home PC.. or is that not the right way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated,
Jim