Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 07:52
christicehurst christicehurst is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Skins are plain and boring

I am very surprised at looking at the vbulletin skins on the internet to show the lack of creative minds when it comes to great skin making. Most of them are the palin dark, blue or white colors. Now I was looking for a nice graphic type skin for my forum and the only theme I have seen where some creative power was pulled off was the World of Warcraft skin.

Even SMF has pulled off some ripper themes that pushes the software to the edge. I feel people take the easy road in creation and change the buttons and colors and believe that will do for the people. The paid themes are a couple points higher but I wouldn't be rushing out and buying most of them .

Show me and prove me wrong on where these creative skins are.
  #2  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:04
fattony69 fattony69 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Real name: Tony
The best skins are completely custom and one of a kind. They can cost anywhere from $500 to a couple thousand.
__________________
The Best Forum Ever!
  #3  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:12
christicehurst christicehurst is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Originally Posted by fattony69 View Post
The best skins are completely custom and one of a kind. They can cost anywhere from $500 to a couple thousand.
That maybe true however some of the best I have seen and voted by many are free or in the price range of $100 to $150. Vbulletin is different to many forum softwares because there are many sites out there trying to make the dollars while others like to see share the info and help improve people as theme designers.
  #4  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:15
fattony69 fattony69 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Real name: Tony
Originally Posted by christicehurst View Post
That maybe true however some of the best I have seen and voted by many are free or in the price range of $100 to $150. Vbulletin is different to many forum softwares because there are many sites out there trying to make the dollars while others like to see share the info and help improve people as theme designers.
I would make them if I could, but I design, but can not code. I would make them for free because charging ridiculous prices is not right.
__________________
The Best Forum Ever!
  #5  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:20
christicehurst christicehurst is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Very true fattony69. I wish I could design too. I'm a writer myself and some designers come to me just to get some creative ideas to give their theme a edge over the others. I believe designers are not challenging themselves enoguh in the graphic area. vbulletin has a great layout design that can be used to great effect, however people take the easy path and change some colors and the banner.
  #6  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:24
fattony69 fattony69 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Real name: Tony
I think that will separate a good forum from a great along with a good staff and a good admin.
__________________
The Best Forum Ever!
  #7  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:25
christicehurst christicehurst is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Originally Posted by fattony69 View Post
I think that will separate a good forum from a great along with a good staff and a good admin.
I've been looking high and low for a design for my story series and I know that a theme is like a book cover. It needs to grab at the the viewer or reader and pull them in. If it's plain or not that great. People will click off and move to another web site.
  #8  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 10:08
Angels1928 Angels1928 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Show me and prove me wrong on where these creative skins are.
Attached is a vB theme I'm developing

p.s - The screenshot is of the live version, it's nearly finished as far as coding goes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg geneticapreview.jpg (30.0 KB, 53 views)
  #9  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 10:54
christicehurst christicehurst is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Originally Posted by Angels1928 View Post
Attached is a vB theme I'm developing

p.s - The screenshot is of the live version, it's nearly finished as far as coding goes
Now there's some creative balls.
  #10  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 11:47
loonytune15's Avatar
loonytune15 loonytune15 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
http://www.minerskinz.com/

I use the ones here
__________________
Website -
  #11  
Old 09 Jul 2008, 11:55
Caddyman's Avatar
Caddyman Caddyman is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Heres a large list of premium skin shops...

http://forum.vbulletinsetup.com/f15/...tyles-147.html
__________________
Delaware Online
  #12  
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:09
boiboi boiboi is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
you guys fell for it. he wants you to do the searching for him. lol
__________________
  #13  
Old 10 Jul 2008, 11:14
nexialys
Guest
 
you want free skins, use google...

you want a computer, do you take one that is free ?!... no, you pay for it... and usually, the more giggles you want from it, the higher the price. do not tell me that the 5$ computer will be filled with more efficient features, will be supported for lifetime and will get free upgrades.

this argument is pointless... people release paid stuff for one good reason: GOOD STUFF.
  #14  
Old 13 Jul 2008, 07:12
christicehurst christicehurst is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Originally Posted by boiboi View Post
you guys fell for it. he wants you to do the searching for him. lol
No you're wrong. The paid themes are just as bad. People think if it's paid then it must be good.

--------------- Added 13 Jul 2008 at 08:14 ---------------

Originally Posted by nexialys View Post
you want free skins, use google...

you want a computer, do you take one that is free ?!... no, you pay for it... and usually, the more giggles you want from it, the higher the price. do not tell me that the 5$ computer will be filled with more efficient features, will be supported for lifetime and will get free upgrades.

this argument is pointless... people release paid stuff for one good reason: GOOD STUFF.
<<Removed>> did you read what the topic was about? It's about the lack of creative art when it comes to skins - paid or free.

Last edited by Marco van Herwaarden; 13 Jul 2008 at 10:40. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
  #15  
Old 13 Jul 2008, 07:58
Dismounted's Avatar
Dismounted Dismounted is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Real name: Hanson
This thread will end up no where good. Closing.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

View My Modifications
29 Releases and Counting... Latest Modification: dmActivityStream - vBookie Integration (4.x)

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Posting Features Quick Links in Postbit (no more boring scrolling!) AdeptusAstartes vBulletin 3.6 Template Modifications 10 22 Feb 2008 18:43
DopeGFX - Quick Wonder Skins(S), Nearly Imageless Skins YET still nice. Gio~Logist vBulletin 3.5 Styles 83 19 Feb 2008 08:11



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:24.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: