Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09 Nov 2013, 17:42

Help With Grid

Hello... I kinda get how to make a custom grid. Going to yahoo's coding and working with their UI on building a grid doesnt help because it wont work with vb's framework. I see lots of class titles and references which I have no idea what they mean. Is there a list or a guide explaining what terms mean what?

<style type="text/css">
.two_columns {float: right;}
.col_1 {width: 240px; float:left; margin-right: -250px;}
.col_2 { float:left; margin: 0 250px;}
.col_3 {width: 240px; float: right; margin-left: -250px; }
</style>
<div id="doc3" class="yui-tvb-l3">
<div class="two_columns">
<div class="col_2">
<ul class="list_no_decoration widget_list" id="widgetlist_column2">$column[2]</ul>
</div>
<div class="col_3">
<ul class="list_no_decoration widget_list" id="widgetlist_column3">$column[3]</ul>
</div>
</div>
<div class="col_1">
<ul class="list_no_decoration widget_list" id="widgetlist_column1">$column[1]</ul>
</div>
</div>
Good example is in the quotes. How am i suppose to know what the different id's are like "widgetlist?" Yes its pretty obvious what it is, but there are other id's and classes that are hard to figure out. Any help would greatly be appreciated. If i were to make a box that i can put 3 smaller boxes inside of it and a larger box below that so my main news can go there, how would this be implemented? What are the class and different ID's that need to be used? Making the grid isnt the hard part, its knowing the classes and ID's to put.
Old 09 Nov 2013, 19:32

widget_list is just a CSS class - it styles the grid. So is list_no_decoration. Try removing it and see what happens. ids are just *unique* identifiers (make sure they are unique!).

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 09 Nov 2013, 19:44

Are there tutorials specifically for building grids for vbulletin? Um.. I'm really confused.. Like under the header if i wanted a main container, with 3 small containers side by side. Under that a main container just for the news. How would this be done? And im just coming up with this out of plain randomness... I'm trying to grasp the concept of building my own. Are regular css classes used that you would ordinarily see in Dreamweaver, like sidebar, so on and so forth?
Old 09 Nov 2013, 19:47

I have seen no tutorials. It's all just CSS really. You don't need to use the yahoo guis, you can just write your own CSS for the divs.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 09 Nov 2013, 19:54

Can you break a basic grid down and explain to me the different parts of it and what they mean?

<div id="doc3" class="yui-tvb-l3">
<div class="two_columns">
<div class="col_2">
<ul id="widgetlist_column2">$column[2]</ul>
</div>
<div class="col_3">
<ul id="widgetlist_column3">$column[3]</ul>
</div>
</div>
<div class="col_1">
<ul id="widgetlist_column1">$column[1]</ul>
</div>
</div>

what do the widgetlists_column1 lines mean, with the string $collumn[1]. there is really no tutorials around the vb forums explaining and breaking this all down.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 00:43

As I already said the widgetlists_column1 is the unique id. In this case, they have it correspond to the column number. So, if you have a $column[4], use the id widgetlists_column4.

In the modifications forum is a mod thread that has a whole bunch of downloadable grids. You may want to take a look at those as they may help you understand it a bit more.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 10 Nov 2013, 01:38

Thanks Lynne for the information
Old 11 Nov 2013, 01:42

are the column strings a vbulletin string so that forum identifies it? other than that, its just a bunch of div boxes inside of div boxes? So each div u make u have to identify it with a $column[#]? There should really be tutorials on this, or more explained in the vb manual.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 17:24

Every column you have where you want to add a module/widget must be identified as $column[x] or you will not see them when you try to use the Layout Manager to add modules/widgets.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 17 Nov 2013, 13:18

still cant believe there's no tutorials out there explaining how a grid is coded. its nice to get grids made by others, but you cant understand unless you understand the coding. is there any grids out there thats commented and explained how it was made? can you make a tutorial lynne?
Old 17 Nov 2013, 13:22

Perhaps this will help.
http://www.vbulletin.com/vbcms/conte...S-Grids-Layout
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 13:30

This tutorial i understand. This does not explain the coding that goes into it.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 13:32

I would suggest then, downloading a grid then, and study the code. There is no tutorial on how to code, you have to learn it.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 13:36

Ok.. How is one suppose to study the code if we dont know what each line of code is?

<div id="doc3">
<div id="bd">
<div class="yui-gb">
<div class="yui-u first yui-panel">
<ul class="list_no_decoration" id="widgetlist_column1" style="width:100%">$column[1]</ul>
</div>
<div class="yui-u yui-panel">
<ul class="list_no_decoration" id="widgetlist_column2" style="width:300px">$column[2]</ul>
</div>
<div class="yui-u yui-panel">
<ul class="list_no_decoration" id="widgetlist_column3" style="width:300px">$column[3]</ul>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

what is a yui-gb class? what is yui-u first yui-panel referenced to?
Old 17 Nov 2013, 13:38

Those are classes that call to the css