Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25 Mar 2007, 12:46

Zoints sold!

Well I knew it would come eventually, but it seems Zoints has been sold. What will this mean for you Zointers? Does it mean the hacks will no longer be supported, as David Chapman has also left! Sad news, but I kinda got the feeling it was a money spinner and nothing more all along.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 12:58

Not to sure what you mean "it was a money spinner and nothing more " that's like saying vBulletin is a money spinner and nothing more.

I'd always assumed Zoints was a company and wanted to make money. I've used several of their hacks because they offer functionality and features that are of benefit for the users of the forum I admin. If they start to charge for these from now on I'll do what I always do for any modifications I have to pay for - check out their value for money and what they add to the forum community.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 13:05

Don't see that this will make any great difference really. I only use Zoints Thread Tags which works well for me. I can't imagine they would start to charge for that but if they did I would evaluate its value, as the previous poster has said.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 13:24

Oh well, congratulations for to the Zoints guys who managed to turn a profit off their venture! Good job. I can see the logic in leaving the group at this point though, heh. But y'know, just wait and see what the new guys do with it. Might be even better now. Might not. Give them credit if it's due...
Old 25 Mar 2007, 19:22

I've closed my zoints account.
Thanks for the headsup.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 01:09

Honestly, not a big surprise. They admitted from the beginning that it was a company who's goal was not only to connect forums, but to make money. They made their money by selling it and my guess would be that David Chapman is now working on thinking up a new project, if he hasn't already.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 01:21

well hopfully the will get there support bach up to par
Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:10

what the hell is a zoints?
Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:15
nexialys

http://zoints.com
Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:18

I am disappointed to say the least. Don was awesome and so is zoints. I hope these mods stay the same...

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:43

Does this come as a surpise to any one? All it was in all its glory was a get rich quick scheme and some fancy marketing to a small demographic. Now that the markets been tapped, i'd imgine the previous owner is thinking of something new.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:45

So, they made money by offering free, high quality hacks. Now it seems that they might (might) be charging in the future for a blogging, community and profile enhancement system. Who in there right mind would do that!?
Old 26 Mar 2007, 05:03

Originally Posted by Floris View Post
Thanks for the headsup.
Just wondering why? I was thinking of doing the same thing, and un-installing any zoints I have, in case updating and support and so on becomes impossible to get unless you pay.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 22:28

Originally Posted by FleaBag View Post
Well I knew it would come eventually, but it seems Zoints has been sold. What will this mean for you Zointers? Does it mean the hacks will no longer be supported, as David Chapman has also left! Sad news, but I kinda got the feeling it was a money spinner and nothing more all along.
I don't get what the big deal is with turning a profit. People act like it is evil.

Originally Posted by Floris View Post
Thanks for the headsup.
No idea why. If things changed, then you'd have a complaint, but so far nothing has happened, has it?

Originally Posted by RichieBoy67 View Post
I am disappointed to say the least. Don was awesome and so is zoints. I hope these mods stay the same...
I'm not sure why you guys are disappointed. It is a business. They're here to make money and you got some free stuff along the way...
Old 27 Mar 2007, 13:20

I'm not against anyone making a profit. I run $600 or more worth of hacks on my vB, I'm certainly not averse to paying for quality products.

What I was implying is that all along we've been told 'Zoints isn't trying to get traffic from your site, it's trying to give your forum traffic'. Turns out in reality they just wanted everyone on board to make bigger bucks - I don't resent that in any way, everyone needs to make money. I just resent the fact we were told they were in it for the long haul, and I guess they've 'sold out'. Just seems a shame to slowly but surely gain the trust of vB users just to cash in on their contributions.

I love Chapman's hacks, and in all honesty I hope he releases a paid version of Tags with some imporvements and extensions; but I suspect the Tags hack is somehow owned by the Zoints company now.

It's also been bought by an investment company, which means it will probably get sold again in the near future. That's what investment companys generally do. They have no interest in a long term development.