Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Profile Fields in a Postbit Dropdown Details »
Profile Fields in a Postbit Dropdown
Developer Last Online: Jul 2019 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.x Rating: (10 votes - 4.30 average) Installs: 100
Released: 15 Mar 2009 Last Update: 15 Mar 2009 Downloads: 440
Supported Uses Plugins  

If you use this mod please hit INSTALL!

With this mod you can allow profile fields to show up in a dropdown below a user's name and user's title under each post. There are two ways to use this product, and each has its own plugin (and template): Dropdown - Manual (enabled by default), and Dropdown - Automated (disabled by default).

NOTE: The dropdown's title shows up as [username]'s [dropdown_title]. Yes, the 's is hardcoded into the mod. Figured if I didn't hardcode it, someone wouldn't be able to figure out how to add it

To edit the title:

Go to AdminCP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases. Search for the phrase's title: [dropdown_title] (no brackets). Edit and save!

The dropdown is dependent on Profile Field 5 being filled. If the user does not have this profile field filled out, then the dropdown will not show. To edit or remove this restriction:

Go to the Dropdown Call Template. Find and edit, or remove these 2 lines of code (so that the dropdown will always show):

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

The "Dropdown - Manual" template allows you to manually create the dropdown. Some examples of how to do this are already provided within the template. This template is the default.

To edit it, go to AdminCP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [STYLE NAME]
Edit Style: Dropdown Information - Manual

The "Dropdown - Automated" template / plugin combo will automatically create the dropdown for ALL custom fields (it will skip the first 4 default ones).

To use the automated dropdown, DISABLE Plugin "Dropdown - Manual" and ENABLE Plugin "Dropdown - Automated". Simple!

To sum it up:
Plugin: Dropdown - Manual
PRO: You select which fields, what descriptions, and in what order you want the fields to show up.
CON: Lots of typing

Plugin: Dropdown - Automatic
PRO: Automatic!
CON: no real control, Profile fields 5 and up will show up in order. NOTE: if it is a HIDDEN profile field, apparently only the DATA is hidden, not the field name, so the field name will show up as well. To block a profile field from showing up in the Automatic Dropdown, check out this post.

Version History:
3.0.0 - Initial Release
3.0.1 - Added plugin to cache templates, courtesy of ssslippy.
3.1.0 - Updated for 3.8.x, no code changes made.

NOTE: Support will only be given to those who have hit install.

If you use this mod please hit INSTALL!

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	dropdown_open.JPG
Views:	2701
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	96487   Click image for larger version

Name:	dropdown_closed.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	96488  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Show Thread Enhancements Profile Fields in a Postbit Dropdown Wired1 vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 184 29 Jun 2010 07:56

Old 09 Jun 2010, 19:33

Was going to release the 4.0 ugly beta last night after I posted the 4.0 tabs mod, but I decided to get some sleep

It'll be out soon. Why not post it now you ask? Because I'm posting from my phone Automation needs functionality tweaking.

Last edited by Wired1; 10 Jun 2010 at 08:56.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 01:42

Looking forward to it mate, thanks for it in advance
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:14

Originally Posted by Wired1 View Post
Please be patient!

So, you're saying you want a dropdown with 50 lines?
Yes, exactly... that would be ideal... right now you can put a text box, but it shows up without line breaks. I want one field where when user enters

Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
Line 25

currently it will show up without line breaks

Line1Line2Line3...Line25

which is useless

members on my site enter list of animals that they keep so this drop down is very handy to see what a member keeps. Your mod significantly cleans up the signatures...before users would create signatures that are 25lines high, to show the animals they keep. Now it's nice and clean in a drop down.
Thanks for the mod!
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:59

so...any ideas if this is possible or if it will be made in the next update?
Old 17 Jun 2010, 00:46

It would be outside the scope of the mod, but it's possible. Something like if profile field 34, then parse lines by line break or special character or something.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 16:00

Working, but ugly as hell. Probably going to just release it as a beta and see if someone with better CSS skills than I can clean it up.
I just completed a similar hack for my vB4 forum. I even managed to get my head around the styling and have used only existing stylevars for colours, so it will update with different styles. Feel free to use any of this:

Template markup:
I have used a h6 header and a definition list for the different fields and values - semantically, I think that's the best approach.

I have added this just below the avatar in the postbit_legacy template (there's no template hook in that location) but I guess it could go at any hook location.

Notice that I had to add one inline style rule (clear:both) to the containing div in order to keep it in place.

I haven't bothered to use language variables.

Resulting HTML markup:

Notice that the definition list has a fixed width. This is because the default "auto" value restricts it to the with of the postbit user info column, so I'm forcing it to be wider.

Additional CSS added at the bottom of the additional.css template:

In the default style:

comp-details.png

This is what it looks like in postbit_legacy.

I'm not claiming to be an expert at any of this but I thought it might help progress this mod. I'd be grateful if, in return, you could see any obvious improvements I could make to my hack.

Thanks - keep up the good work!

Last edited by cfish; 25 Jun 2010 at 20:11. Reason: updated CSS & changed to additional.css template
Old 18 Jun 2010, 17:43

Gotta remember to post my code tonight. Looks largely the same, but I didn't have issues with width restrictions. The opposite actually where something would make it really long in testing. JS thing I think.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 17:39

Thanks cfish.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 17:49

Originally Posted by Dennis B View Post
Thanks cfish.
Just one update to the above. I upgraded to vB4.0.4 and the styling on the pop-up vanished! So I moved the custom CSS from the popupmenu.css template to the postbit.css template and now all works well. I'll update the post above accordingly.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 20:46

It would be outside the scope of the mod, but it's possible. Something like if profile field 34, then parse lines by line break or special character or something.
could you paste the code please. Is that something that needs to be done in your mod or in the postbit template. Doesn't seem like this would be too difficult for you. Even maybe with a special character delimited (say |) if that would be easier
Old 14 Jul 2010, 02:36

Gotta remember to post my code tonight.

Amnesia, it's a terrible thing.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 01:09

Whoops! You are going to release a 4.0.x. Can't wait!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:06

Hi Wired1,

Has this been abandoned then for VB4? If so, I'll have to pay someone to code something similar for me, seems a shame cause your mod was great.

Dave.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 07:15

v4.0's up: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248651

Sorry for the delay guys, but my last job was running me ragged with late hours and well past 40+ hours a week with odd days. Eating / sleeping prioritized over coding New job's standard hours, and I'm rested up, so here's the code! Managed to fix some bugs too, but one or 2 arose. Fricking hate vB4 ATM
Old 19 Aug 2010, 20:17

Has anybody figured out how to allow members to place a clickable link in the drop down menu?

For example, my members want to place a link to a particular thread on the forum so that other members can click on the link to read all about that member's thread.

Thanks.