Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13 Sep 2012, 03:12

VBulletin 4.x - 5... Time to anty up again?

How long with vBulletin 4.x be supported. I think the latest version is 4.2? That's what I'm using anyway. So my understanding with the whole 4.x upgrade being so expensive was that it would be good for years to come. All updates until the next full version (5.x) would be included free of charge. My concern is that we're only on version 4.2 and now we're being asked to dish out more cash for v5 before versions 4.3,4.4,4.5,4.6,4.7, etc..

So tell me... Will newer version of vBulletin 4 be released or will they be a thing of the past?

In the past we had incremental updates at a moderate cost. For example.. From version 2 - 3. Then came 4 and it wasn't a small price to pay, instead it was something around $250.00.

I haven't read anything about phasing out version 4.x but I just have to ask... Will it be phased anytime soon or will you still be providing releases 4.3, 4.4, 4.9, etc...
Old 13 Sep 2012, 03:19

This is really a question best asked on vbulletin.com which deals with licenses.

4.2 is most likely the end-of-the-line for the 4.x series. It has been since Dec 2009 that it was released, so almost 2.5 years

Also, nobody will force you to upgrade to 5.x. 4.2 is a nice stable version of the software.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 13 Sep 2012, 11:56

Also there was never a history of every minor number ever being released (4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4...)

vBulletin 3 went from 3.0 directly to 3.5 and stopped at 3.8 for example.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 12:57

Ok... I think I see the general concensus about this product:
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...negative/page4
Old 13 Sep 2012, 15:39

Yeah... comments are pretty scathing.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 18:55

Yeah, it's not looking good from early reviews.

However, it is a beta product and probably will be for a while longer.

Don't forget that this is the same software and company that took until vBulletin 4.1/4.2 to make that usable. so it might be a while
Old 13 Sep 2012, 18:59

stick with x4 lets keep going

Last edited by gremrock; 13 Sep 2012 at 19:05.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 22:45

Obviously there has been a lot of work done to bring out V5 and it is in the beta stage.

However the comments so far are very bad. my concern is that as it has received such bad reports how secure is it?

Vbulletin does not enjoy a good reputation for dealing with the security of its clients, so how secure is the new V.5
In what seems like a rush to launch it, has sufficient thought gone into making it secure?
Old 14 Sep 2012, 18:55

I Dont see why their charging people for a beta product?

Surely you would only buy software with the intention of using it on a live site and i for one would never use beta software on a live site.

God knows what IB are thinking.

Oh wait.. $$$
My Forums - A Forum dedicated to the horror films comprising the George A. Romero "Dead" series of films, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 20:56

Originally Posted by ZombieAndy View Post
I Dont see why their charging people for a beta product?

Surely you would only buy software with the intention of using it on a live site and i for one would never use beta software on a live site.

God knows what IB are thinking.

Oh wait.. $$$
You're buying a license for VB5 but you get full access to run the VB 4 Publishing Suite (or any other earlier version.)

So think of it like you're buying VB4 now, with a free upgrade to VB5 whenever it is ready.

Also the price of the VB5 license is less than the price of the VB4 suite also used to be.

Old 14 Sep 2012, 22:04

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
You're buying a license for VB5 but you get full access to run the VB 4 Publishing Suite (or any other earlier version.)

So think of it like you're buying VB4 now, with a free upgrade to VB5 whenever it is ready.

Also the price of the VB5 license is less than the price of the VB4 suite also used to be.
This is an excellent point and I think $250 for vB4 is quite a bargain. But it leaves people who already have vB4 in a tough position. You shouldn't have to pay 200 bucks to beta test software. Sure, you're entitled to updates down the line, but that's quite a leap of faith. You should only have to pay when they give you a version that ready to go live.

--------------- Added 14 Sep 2012 at 22:06 ---------------

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
4.2 is most likely the end-of-the-line for the 4.x series.
That's news to me. Many on vBulletin.com claim that development on 4.x will continue.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 22:27

Originally Posted by dougdirac View Post
This is an excellent point and I think $250 for vB4 is quite a bargain. But it leaves people who already have vB4 in a tough position. You shouldn't have to pay 200 bucks to beta test software. Sure, you're entitled to updates down the line, but that's quite a leap of faith. You should only have to pay when they give you a version that ready to go live.

--------------- Added 14 Sep 2012 at 22:06 ---------------

That's news to me. Many on vBulletin.com claim that development on 4.x will continue.
I could not of said any better myself Infact I was typing something along the lines of this, but I deleted what I put from Fear from being banned from speaking my mind.
From a VB user from the VB 3 series upwards I'm finding that looking to improve my community with VB a no go atm.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 22:29

No one HAS to pay at all. If they want VB5 beta they pay for it, if they don't, that's fine too.

Old 14 Sep 2012, 23:25

I am in a bad spot as well, I just bought vb4 5 months ago and just now started getting it going after other things came first.

The only bright spot is this, we know how slow vBulletin is about making anything stable, even more so since they sold out. My hope is by the time vB 5 is actually viable (if ever) I will just toss up a donate thing on the site lol.

It is a shame though , vBulletin was so much easier when paid by the year. Now they act like we are getting this very great service by not paying per year but instead will toss out a new product more often then microsoft.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 00:37

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
4.2 is most likely the end-of-the-line for the 4.x series.
I simply meant that I do not believe there will be a 4.3, or larger, series. They will continue with the 4.2 series but that will be it.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)