Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
[AJAX] Tabbed Forum Home Details »
[AJAX] Tabbed Forum Home
Mod Version: 1.5.0, by bobster65 (Member) bobster65 is offline
Developer Last Online: Nov 2013 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.x Rating: (75 votes - 4.92 average) Installs: 593
Released: 10 Apr 2008 Last Update: 03 Sep 2008 Downloads: 9249
Not Supported Template Edits Code Changes Additional Files Translations  

Tabbed Forum Home version 1.01

[AJAX] Tabbed Forum Home version 1.5.0 (BETA)

NOTE: Works with both 3.7x and 3.6x

Description: This MOD is for creating a "Tabbed" Forum Home Page to have Categories displayed within Tab containers (similar to what the new Profile System looks like on vb3.7). Please do not confuse this with the Tab Menu System here at vbulletin.org. They are totally different systems. These Tabs actually switch the content without leaving the main forums page.

I wrote the initial Non AJAX version based on reading many requests from members asking about how namepros created their custom tabbed forum home page. The first implementation I did was a request by bbwforums.net (which you can visit to see a working example). I have shared this version with many members already and decided to release it since it seems to be something that a lot of members are interested in.

UPDATE: I have released a BETA [AJAX] version for those that what something a little more robust and easier to install/configure. This Beta version will never go into production tho as version 2.0 will utilize the YUI AJAX Tabview Toolset. It IS stable tho and is currently running on a few live sites.

NOTE: Keep in mind, I wrote this with the assumption that you are fairly well versed and comfortable with editing files/templates and following the flow of things. If there is something you don't understand, PLEASE let me know so that I can help you understand it. This IS NOT a product that a novice can just plug and play and it takes a little bit of time to setup, but its well worth it in the end (if you want a custom unique look to your forum home page)... the next version (Don't ask when, cause its just on the drawing board) will be a product with ACP controls for easy setup

The attached Zip File(s) contain the Files and Instructions necessary to install each version.

DEMO: www.bbwforums.net or www.namepros.com
[Moderator Edit: The first URL has been un-linked as there has been reported malware on that domain. The mod author may edit this notice once the situation has been cleaned.]

Screen Shots: None, visit one or both of the above links as seeing them in action is better than some static image(s)..

Bobster

Change Log

version 1.01 -
tabcontent.js ver 2.2 to support remote links
updated install instructions (both in txt and rtf format)

version 1.5.0 -
BETA [AJAX] version

July 8, 2008 - Added xml file for WOL
Sep 2, 2008 - Updated xml file for WOL

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
  #796  
Old 13 Sep 2008, 03:44
King Kovifor's Avatar
King Kovifor King Kovifor is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Real name: Jeremy
Originally Posted by illithid View Post
Don't keep us in suspense as to what this "major major thing to do" is. BTW, I am willing to assist in any way possible with this mod....assuming you could use the assistance. I am not much good with javascript or ajax, however, I can code php quite well. My point is, instead of re-invent the wheel, let us know what it is that needs to be done, perhaps I, or somebody else has a solution.
IT has to do with the style.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Do not request support through any other means except the forums.

Useful Post With Links on Learning How To Develop vBulletin Plugins

Latest Modification: Stop Forum Spam Integration
Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 13 Sep 2008, 05:00
aggiefan aggiefan is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
just so i know but will this mod when the 2.0 version comes will it be able to mimick what vbulletin.org has with its tabs in the header next to the logo. because thats how i was planning on using it. also as i understand it currently it only will work with forum categories (is that correct)? if so will it be possible to link to other sections using this in the 2.0 version? (specifically i would like to link to some of our addons... arcade, pickem contest we coded, etc)
__________________
Owner of http://www.aggiefans.com
Our Custom Hacks:
Reputation Report
vBContest (college pickem script)
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 13 Sep 2008, 05:11
illithid illithid is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Originally Posted by aggiefan View Post
just so i know but will this mod when the 2.0 version comes will it be able to mimick what vbulletin.org has with its tabs in the header next to the logo. because thats how i was planning on using it. also as i understand it currently it only will work with forum categories (is that correct)? if so will it be possible to link to other sections using this in the 2.0 version? (specifically i would like to link to some of our addons... arcade, pickem contest we coded, etc)
I can not speak on v2 of this mod as it is not released yet, but I can tell you about the current release. I have it installed and am using it like it was intended to be used...ie on the forum to switch between forum categories. The way it works is like vBulleting.org -> each tab is linked to the categories you assign to them and only that category will be displayed on the page for the tab that is selected.

In addition to the standard use of these tabs, I have implemented them on my website (not used on the forum) to pull external content. So essentially, you could use the tabs in other places besides on your forum. I will say this though, as I have found so far, the pages you plan to include these tabs on, will have to be tied into the vBulletin forum. My website consists of custom pages that use the vBulletin API, which allow me to tie into the vBulletin forum. This is how I am able to use the tabs externally from the forum.

As for your addons, arcade, etc. as long as the tabs are tied into your forum, you will be able to link to mostly anything. The only problem so far is pulling javascript into the ajax tab view...ajax and javascript don't play well with each other....to my understanding, v2 fixes that issue.

I can tell you this, this mod is wonderful now. When v2 is released, it will be better without a doubt. Again, I have found uses for this mod external from the forum and only 1 limitation thus far.
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 13 Sep 2008, 11:54
bobster65's Avatar
bobster65 bobster65 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real name: Bob
Originally Posted by illithid View Post
Don't keep us in suspense as to what this "major major thing to do" is. BTW, I am willing to assist in any way possible with this mod....assuming you could use the assistance. I am not much good with javascript or ajax, however, I can code php quite well. My point is, instead of re-invent the wheel, let us know what it is that needs to be done, perhaps I, or somebody else has a solution.
Nothing is in suspense, its an additional feature that really has nothing to do with "functionality" and will not hold up beta testing or the beta release. He gave you a hint, it has something to do with Styles. Not going to get into details, because we are not sure which way we want to approach it since it has not been done yet (that I know of).. but rest assured, its NOT going to hold up the beta testing or the beta release...
__________________
Please Do Not PM me for vBulletin assistance... I am currently only doing customization & addon's for Xenforo.

Last edited by bobster65; 13 Sep 2008 at 12:13.
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 13 Sep 2008, 12:11
bobster65's Avatar
bobster65 bobster65 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Real name: Bob
Originally Posted by aggiefan View Post
just so i know but will this mod when the 2.0 version comes will it be able to mimick what vbulletin.org has with its tabs in the header next to the logo. because thats how i was planning on using it. also as i understand it currently it only will work with forum categories (is that correct)? if so will it be possible to link to other sections using this in the 2.0 version? (specifically i would like to link to some of our addons... arcade, pickem contest we coded, etc)
It "could" but it would require some major customization. This wasn't designed to mimic that. The functionality of the two are totally different. Using this to do what they did would be OVERKILL lol..

No, ver2 will work with more than just categories, there is a "modules" plug in that you enter the URI to the external file and it will be included as content for that tab.. (you can use any of the "content" files that I have released with my CMPS AJAX Tabs Mod as well .. recent threads, blogs, news, links, photos etc.. custom content will be pretty easy to add to this. Hell, you could knock out a simple static HTML file, upload it to your server and then with the Module part in the ACP, just enter the file name, give it a tab name and you have a custom tab with your content.. or you can write a complex php file and do the same thing...
__________________
Please Do Not PM me for vBulletin assistance... I am currently only doing customization & addon's for Xenforo.
Reply With Quote
  #801  
Old 14 Sep 2008, 15:18
ShawnV's Avatar
ShawnV ShawnV is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Originally Posted by bobster65 View Post

No, ver2 will work with more than just categories, there is a "modules" plug in that you enter the URI to the external file and it will be included as content for that tab.. (you can use any of the "content" files that I have released with my CMPS AJAX Tabs Mod as well .. recent threads, blogs, news, links, photos etc.. custom content will be pretty easy to add to this. Hell, you could knock out a simple static HTML file, upload it to your server and then with the Module part in the ACP, just enter the file name, give it a tab name and you have a custom tab with your content.. or you can write a complex php file and do the same thing...
/Drool

Your teams work and dedication to improve this already great MOD is greatly appreciated.


_V
__________________
Elements of Darkness
Reply With Quote
  #802  
Old 14 Sep 2008, 19:23
TheInsaneManiac TheInsaneManiac is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Right now, the 1.01 NON Ajax version, what would the queries be for that? Cause I think this is putting a huge load on my server.
Reply With Quote
  #803  
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:13
siriuxs's Avatar
siriuxs siriuxs is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
It is possible to have a different color for each tab?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #804  
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:34
craiovaforum's Avatar
craiovaforum craiovaforum is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Originally Posted by siriuxs View Post
It is possible to have a different color for each tab?
you can do that by editing ajaxtabs.css and adding something like this:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

then, in the forumhome template where you defined your tabs just add class="specialtab" to the <a> you want inside the list.
__________________
http://www.craiovaforum.ro
Reply With Quote
  #805  
Old 16 Sep 2008, 00:03
TimberFloorAu's Avatar
TimberFloorAu TimberFloorAu is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Real name: Blue
Okies. this is my second attempt at looking at this mod.
Im a great lover of ajax tabs, and we use it extensively on other (non Vb ) websites.

Just to get my head round this ( not always up with vb terminology )

So: here goes.

Example: i create 6 tabs.
called.
apples | oranges | bananas | grapes | nectarines | mangos

Can I assign different forum id's within each of those tabs.

So apples shows:
forum id's 1,34,78,23,14
Bananas 2,62,63,65

etc etc

This is the bit thats throwing me, as I keep seeing the word Category shown.. not sure what thats about.
__________________

My Hacks [ click ] | Steve ~ Administrator for British Expats AustraliaBound.org/forum | Test our forum - user; don pass; pass123
Sports Tipping Mod - coming February 2010 ~ Show your Interest !
Reply With Quote
  #806  
Old 16 Sep 2008, 00:17
Digital Jedi's Avatar
Digital Jedi Digital Jedi is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Mark Daniel Martinez
Originally Posted by TimberFloorAu View Post
Okies. this is my second attempt at looking at this mod.
Im a great lover of ajax tabs, and we use it extensively on other (non Vb ) websites.

Just to get my head round this ( not always up with vb terminology )

So: here goes.

Example: i create 6 tabs.
called.
apples | oranges | bananas | grapes | nectarines | mangos

Can I assign different forum id's within each of those tabs.

So apples shows:
forum id's 1,34,78,23,14
Bananas 2,62,63,65

etc etc

This is the bit thats throwing me, as I keep seeing the word Category shown.. not sure what thats about.
It only displays forums you've setup as categories. Meaning it displays a category and all the subforums that are a part of it. You can, however, display multiple categories.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #807  
Old 16 Sep 2008, 00:20
TimberFloorAu's Avatar
TimberFloorAu TimberFloorAu is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Real name: Blue
Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
It only displays forums you've setup as categories. Meaning it displays a category and all the subforums that are a part of it. You can, however, display multiple categories.
Thats a shame huh.

Surely. Though, creating it so that it displays various forum id.s in some sort of order is simple enough. At the end of the day, forumhome only lists the forums, 'a la' chronological id.
__________________

My Hacks [ click ] | Steve ~ Administrator for British Expats AustraliaBound.org/forum | Test our forum - user; don pass; pass123
Sports Tipping Mod - coming February 2010 ~ Show your Interest !
Reply With Quote
  #808  
Old 16 Sep 2008, 00:27
Digital Jedi's Avatar
Digital Jedi Digital Jedi is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Mark Daniel Martinez
I don't know. I've never listed forums outside of a category because of the peculiar way it looks on forumhome.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #809  
Old 16 Sep 2008, 00:47
TimberFloorAu's Avatar
TimberFloorAu TimberFloorAu is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Real name: Blue
Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
I don't know. I've never listed forums outside of a category because of the peculiar way it looks on forumhome.
Not sure if we use categories lol.. must check

::checked . we have 10 categories ( excl admin and mods area )
__________________

My Hacks [ click ] | Steve ~ Administrator for British Expats AustraliaBound.org/forum | Test our forum - user; don pass; pass123
Sports Tipping Mod - coming February 2010 ~ Show your Interest !
Reply With Quote
  #810  
Old 16 Sep 2008, 00:51
Digital Jedi's Avatar
Digital Jedi Digital Jedi is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Mark Daniel Martinez
Yeah, I actually chucked a few forums into their own category just so I could exploit the look under each tab. I also have a Staff tab.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: