Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Article Options
Old 07 May 2008, 12:55

Was given this link, as per a request. On VB' .com

Sweet tut' thanks.

Only thing to add, may not work on postbit.

I found i had to edit postbit legacy too.

Ozzy

My Hacks [ click ] | Steve ~ Administrator for British Expats AustraliaBound.org/forum | Test our forum - user; don pass; pass123
Sports Tipping Mod - coming February 2010 ~ Show your Interest !
Old 27 May 2008, 03:58

Great tutorial
Old 29 May 2008, 22:49

I have a request about how vB handles language keys and image associations. I had a postbit and user profile mod for phpBB which managed this and I have only just started looking at modding vB.

The simple addition of a country flag illustrates this well.
flag_au.GIF --> Australia.GIF works but that requires renaming all the flags according to the names in the list whilst the original bundle already provides a translation key:
au=Australia
in phpBB this is done using a language key where anything called for as 'au' shows up as 'Australia'; then the menu list would be the list of keys
au
which is an easier job to edit than the actual file names - including the fact that there are spaces and capitalisation in the file names and also some exceptions to the two letter country code etc...

There must be some simple code that would allow the supplied list to be used in both the dropdown and the image file translation without a lot of editing?

Language key:
at=Austria
au=Australia
aw=Aruba
ax=Aaland

Drop down menu is then set up as

at
au
aw
ax

but displays to users as

Austria
Australia
Aruba
Aaland

and when one is selected by the language key in the profile it translates to:

flag_at.GIF
flag_au.GIF
flag_aw.GIF
flag_ax.GIF

or

flag_$post[fieldX].GIF

I hope this is a reasonable place to ask this question.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 06:38

I wanted to use a title for the displayed text option but dont know where i place the code, please help!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 20:17

I would like to use the custom profile field in other places than the postbit, for use as a Display Name.
Just realized $post[field5] wouldn't work when I went to the "Who's Online" template...
$userinfo[field5] and $vbphrase[field5] didn't work either.

SOMEONE?! PLEASE?!

$bbuserinfo[field5] did the trick.

Last edited by jammer2552; 11 Sep 2008 at 17:17.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 16:33

anyone want to do this on my site for me???... this is way over my head... PM me

I'll Pay you via PayPal

--------------- Added 08 Oct 2008 at 18:01 ---------------

I got someone thank you!

Last edited by Macartist6; 08 Oct 2008 at 18:01. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 03 Dec 2008, 14:22

does anyone know how to make this show up on thread ....under there name and show a picture ? i added the custom user group but cant find where to modify it ..i looked up nder post legacy

msn - mmoore@smoothstone. com

--------------- Added 03 Dec 2008 at 17:09 ---------------

oh here is my example ..i have choices ... 1 2 3
if they pick1 they get this gif by there name or under it or beside dont matter to me
if they pick 2 they get this other picture or gif
if they pick 3 they get this other pic or gif ...

i know what needs to be done but cant figure it out for love of me ...i have paypal

Last edited by mmoore5553; 03 Dec 2008 at 17:09. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 01 Jan 2009, 01:23

FYI, there's nowhere specified where to add this in the template, and adding it under existing fields called for causes an error of "The conditional on line 62 appears to be missing its beginning tag (<if>). This may cause unexpected behavior."
Old 01 Jan 2009, 04:28

i actually figured out how to add special modifications on my site ..

www.cg-hq.com

i have them pick what 3d software they use adn then it adds a picture under there avatar ...just to let you know this guide plus another helped me
Old 01 Jan 2009, 04:35

Originally Posted by DarkFormula View Post
FYI, there's nowhere specified where to add this in the template, and adding it under existing fields called for causes an error of "The conditional on line 62 appears to be missing its beginning tag (<if>). This may cause unexpected behavior."
They can't tell you exactly where to add it in the template because everyone wants to add their stuff in a different place. It is assumed you will make sure you are not replacing an <if> tag, or doing something else to 'break' the html in the template.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 01 Jan 2009, 05:16

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
They can't tell you exactly where to add it in the template because everyone wants to add their stuff in a different place. It is assumed you will make sure you are not replacing an <if> tag, or doing something else to 'break' the html in the template.
Where would be the best place to add it, then? I've tried several places and the error always appears, just with a different line reference.
Old 01 Jan 2009, 16:38

Why don't you post the line you are adding and the code a few lines above and below that part in your template and see can see what is wrong.

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 05 Jan 2009, 22:43

Originally Posted by DarkFormula View Post
Where would be the best place to add it, then? I've tried several places and the error always appears, just with a different line reference.
I got the same thing initially...realized I forgot to add a quote in my <if ....> statement. Make sure you have all of your quotes in place.
Old 06 Jan 2009, 11:38

Great tutorial! Is there any way to only show the profile field once per page? For example, I run a motoring forum and I show the user's "garage" beneath their signature* but I'd like to only show it on the first post per page for that user

Thanks in advance!

* Not within so that it always shows the garage regardless of whether they have a signature or not
Old 06 Jan 2009, 16:29

Originally Posted by selwonk View Post
Great tutorial! Is there any way to only show the profile field once per page? For example, I run a motoring forum and I show the user's "garage" beneath their signature* but I'd like to only show it on the first post per page for that user

Thanks in advance!

* Not within so that it always shows the garage regardless of whether they have a signature or not
That is really beyond the scope of the article. If you want to do that, I suggest you have a look at the modification to only have a signature show up once on a page. Modify that code for use with your profile fields.

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual